So I picked up a virus somewhere

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Re: So I picked up a virus somewhere

Post by Stephen »

use disk manager to mount the drive
may require formating to do so

right click my computer and then manage then go to disk manager on the left
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Did you click on advanced install option or the upgrade one? Cause that would do it.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Post by Magus »

I used to custom one. I finally got all drives formatted *as I may have said. I honestly just can't keep track anymore.* and I fixed the issue w/ the "ghost" drive. It was just unpartioned space that wasn't viewable as a hard-drive so I had to go to partition manager and format/name it as a space.

I'm sure I'll have a few issues in the next few days, but thanks for all your help guys. Really appreciate it :)
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Just for future Note, If you run Windows 7 DVD from Windows, You will not be allowed to completely format your C Drive (The installation will just replace your windows folder). You have to Boot from the DVD During startup(Bios) to to be able to do so.

Glad you were able to format everything, This shit happened to me a while back, Even saw a program install itself. The malware would take control of the mouse and would automatically install a phishing program. Couldn't open up Control Panel, Registry and even my Star Menu was disabled. IT WAS A PAIN
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Molimo wrote:Just for future Note, If you run Windows 7 DVD from Windows, You will not be allowed to completely format your C Drive (The installation will just replace your windows folder). You have to Boot from the DVD During startup(Bios) to to be able to do so.
Yea that's why I mentioned to boot from disc, but I'm not sure if that was what happened to Magus...
Glad you were able to format everything, This shit happened to me a while back, Even saw a program install itself. The malware would take control of the mouse and would automatically install a phishing program. Couldn't open up Control Panel, Registry and even my Star Menu was disabled. IT WAS A PAIN
Wow. Epic. :shock:
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

ive been virus/spyware etc. free for about 6 years
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

12 years here. I never get that shizzle.
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Well I normally format every 6months or so, even sooner sometimes. And I don;t run antivirus cause they suck. To be honest, I never had any trouble but for this one occurrence, I wasn't the one using the Laptop, my GF was, lol. I had my thesis on that Laptop, and I'm glad I was able to save it before formatting, Boy was I pissed.
Tahko
Admin
Ingame Name: ᴅɢz! Hartmann
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:20888205

Post by Tahko »

This might be a bit late, but if the steam apps, music mp3s and image files are saved on the hard drive with your main OS you can install Windows and afterward there might be a folder called "windows.old" where you can access your previous drivers, documents, etc. It's located on your OS hard drive (obviously lol)

I've reinstalled Windows Vista and Windows 7 multiple times and this folder always appeared after a clean install. It doesn't work for Windows XP or anything earlier though.