Badwater Revival?

Post your favorite TF moments, problems, maps, and anything else.

Should we bring back badwater?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 26
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Re: Badwater Revival?

Post by Newman »

24 slot
GS: $23.95/month
NFO: $26.39/month
$2.44 difference per month

32 slot
GS: $31.95/month
NFO: $35.19/month
$3.24 difference per month

So the question to Magus is, what is special about NFO and is it worth the 2.50-3.25 per month extra?
That is also not including any extra services through NFO, they also charge you $2.99 for HLStatsX:CE which is free if you do it yourself under other providers. I'm guessing they only charge you because they have to deal with support/setup. Apparently there are options to up the $35 to $60 a month >.<
<Stuff and Nonsense />
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Post by Magus »

Well, the only really huge difference with NFO is you get a high fidelity server guaranteed. Everyone will get a good connection, the server will have a good response time, and it (i THINK) will be a dedi no matter what, not shared. Basically it's just an extremely high quality server. That being said, it may be best to start with a gameservers server and then see what happens after that.
Newman
Founder

Post by Newman »

What I read they still share servers but probably not as much as other companies, they do offer additional services to up the processing power and stuff, hence why the price could jump so much.

Something to remember is that if we go with one and switch to the other down the line, that IP address is lost. What we might be able to do is setup a DNS entry to point say badwater.atg.xxx to 123.123.123.123 so if the IP changes and you were using the name instead of the direct IP it wouldn't change for you, but I don't know that many people enter the name vs the IP.

Yeah I'd say 24.
<Stuff and Nonsense />
Newman
Founder

Post by Newman »

SandvichSpy wrote:Dat gnome puking a rainbow...
Blargh (tm)
<Stuff and Nonsense />
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

I'd say most DEFINITELY a 24-man. No reason to do a 32 man right now, esp. w/ random crits enabled. So when are we planning on launching the server?

Also, START USING THESE FORUMS AGAIN EVERYONE.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

32-man is crap.

24 ftw.

TF2 is bloated/laggy enough without the extra overhead of 8 more peeps. Ran pretty fine on 24-man last time I played.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

the bigger issuse on server decision is the support, if your not running the dedicated yourself youll be contacting support often no matter who you go with.

and from our past experiance game servers is pretty spot on
PRETENDICA
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] PRETENDICA
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:17130959

Post by PRETENDICA »

Does that mean the nFO ones have bad customer support? If it's the same, support wise, we should spend the couple extra bucks and get the best server possible. Last thing I want to hear if we start back up is how laggy it is. STFU, Guam.
Image <---Thanks, Tahko!
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

I never heard of them till magus suggested so i dont know, i was just meaning that we have good history with game servers, so can either take a gamble or stick with what we know
Das Forscher
Admin
Ingame Name: Das Forscher
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:10843303

Post by Das Forscher »

I haven't launched TF2 since last june or played any significant hours in probably a year or more, but if ATG badwater goes back up I will reinstall the game and start playing a bit again. I would be happy to make dedicated donations as well.

I would really like to see this work out. I would love to see some of the old faces again. I think the hayday of ATG badwater as I remember it was in winter 2009ish. That makes me feel old.

Like some other people have said, I generally can't play as much as I could then, at least on weeknights. But I am interested in seeing this happen. I'm getting all misty eyed and shit just reading this thread.

Going to be watching this thread closely.
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

NFO's pretty popular. Been around for awhile and have accrued quite a following. It doesn't matter to me if we don't go w/ NFO though, I know it's more expensive and it might be a tough sell on whether it's worth it. I've had an NFO server for mumble for a long time though and their support seemed second to none.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Das Forscher wrote:I think the hayday of ATG badwater as I remember it was in winter 2009ish. That makes me feel old.
More or less to #1 (it really went into 2010 pretty far too, but half that WAS winter, lol), and agreed on #2 :D

With the upcoming cluster-bomb that is about to descend on TF2 (SteamPipe), I'd suggest maybe we wait until that's been released and the major issues ironed out? Otherwise we'd possibly get a server up, start getting it busy, and then the whole thing goes to crap thanks to Valve changes, and once its fixed like a month later (good 'ol Valve time there) we have to start the whole thing all over again. Thoughts?
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Newman
Founder

Post by Newman »

<Stuff and Nonsense />
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

What does 68 mean Newman. Also can we please. Get. The. Server. UP.
Newman
Founder

Post by Newman »

I'll never tell.
<Stuff and Nonsense />