Badwater Revival?

Post your favorite TF moments, problems, maps, and anything else.

Should we bring back badwater?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 26

SanVich
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] SanVich
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17755557

Badwater Revival?

Post by SanVich » February 18th, 2013, 10:54 pm

People who are willing to chip in and contribute donations to get this mother hubbard started:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
- SandvichSpy
- Armisael
- Marcus
- Byron
- Arthus
- Magus
- Mattd
- Molimo
- PRETENDICA
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hey ATG, so this has been on my mind for a while now and I have to post this here to see what everyone thinks. Anyways, don't you all miss the good old days of badwater. Don't you just hate when you go to a random badwater pub with ATG people, only to find its populated by little kids who shouldn't have a microphone, and subpar skilled players who don't provide a challenge? Well I propose we bring back the old badwater server! I've asked a couple of you (Magus, Aaron, Keef, Desseler, etc) about this, and I think most of us can agree we'd play again. Even those of us who don't play anymore or as often, if the badwater server was there, we'd play more often than usual.

Now there are some things we have to do in order for this to work out. First and foremost is money. We can rent a server through gameservers, and it's $0.79 a slot, (24 slots = $23.95, 32 slots = $31.95), but in order to do this we need people to commit and donate the money monthly to keep it up. If we got a 24 man server (Because I don't know if it'll ever go full 32 a lot) that's easy enough to cover if people who want to play this chip in a small amount. $5.00 each would work since that's what gets you 1 month of donor status, so if 5 people each donated $5.00 we'd be set. Also, if you like mumble too, that takes up about $15.00 a month (if I recall correctly), but anyways, the point is: we need donations in order to get this server. Stephen told me himself that so long as there are funds for it, we can get whatever server we want. I myself am willing to donate monthly to help out, as I already kind of do to keep up Zombie Fortress.

So to sum up point 1: We need donations to get the badwater server back. This will take some commitment from us to get it started.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Next, we need us regular ATG members to have a good disposition and morale when it comes to getting people to join the server and keeping it filled. Magus laid out some key points a while back perfectly: http://forums.addictiontogaming.com/vie ... f=3&t=3592
To emphasize on some things Magus said:

1) Try to get more and more people to join our forums / group. If we can do this we can get a bigger community, which means more people to play games with, and also means potentially more donations. On the ZF server, we've been steadily growing from a few regulars, to quite a few regulars just by being active in our own community. We even have an ATG ZF steam group now and we have roughly 52 people, about half of which I'd say are ZF regulars. If we can get this same sort of influence on badwater, we'd no doubt grow.
LG | Magus^: well I think if we could get the founders/admins/community team to all say "okay, we'll set aside 3 dollars a month for donations for X time" we could do it.
Another thing to try too, would be to put motd's and mb's in the chat box. On ZF we have frequent messages advertising in the chat to come visit our steam group and the ATG forums, as well as to donate if people like the server. It couldn't hurt to try.

2) I know getting the server going can be a pain, especially if you don't want to wait 15 minutes in an empty server, and pm'ing all those people sucks. But on this point, we have to utilize the ATG steam group. As an example, ZF was empty quite a bit and it was hard to get people to play, so I made a separate steam group and invited all the ZF players on my buddy list, and had them do the same. Soon the group grew and we have plenty of players to pool from. So what we do now is, if we want to fill up the server, one of us will go in it while it is empty, look to see who is all online, and send out an announcement to the whole group, something like "Come play ZF!", and in like 10 minutes the server will be at least half full if not more. If the founders or someone can give Moderator power (and thus the ability to post announcements) to the active ATG admins in the ATG group, then whenever they want to get a game going they can post an announcement to do so. (It also works if the server is half full as well).
LG | Magus^: yeah that's another thing
LG | Magus^: even in our hayday
LG | Magus^: we couldn't get the steam group utilized b/c the right people didn't have access
[ATG] SanVich: exactly
LG | Magus^: even I had to pm like, 3 people just to get an announcement out
3) Just read in Magus' post about what he said about server etiquette. Specifically this part:
Next, and something that's very subtle is this: If you're a good player, and you constantly support your team, chances are most of the people in the server will know who you are. Even first timers may recognize that you are doing work. This leads me to two very important points. A. If you're going to have to leave the server in a shortly, make sure you try and disconnect at an opportune time. Try to quit when the teams are relatively balanced, and losing you won't cause a massive rage quit and server failure. and B. Ask on admin/friends chat if any other admins/friends are leaving at the same time. If you can stagger your disconnects, the server will look more appealing to new joiners, as they'll see a more consistent 22/24 or 21/24 then 16/24 because of quits.
And here is some words of wisdom from keef
Kilgore Trout: I would think Badwater 24/7 would get the group we are most interested in to show up, but they need targets not teammates
So yeah we all know you guys want to be teammates, but don't go on a full team stack roll, try to mix it up to keep the pubbers happy and stay longer.

So to sum up point 2: We need to be a better at pulling in more players, as well as improve our communication structure.

The last thing would be what we want server side to attract people and keep them coming. There are a ton of fun plugins and mods out there to add that little extra special touch to the server to make it a bit more unique. For example, on ZF, we give donors and admins prop hunt at the end of the round to the losing team (badwater had this before too). We also give donors colored chat and a skin color changer. And lastly we used the tf2items plugin and donors and admins who kill someone, turn their target into a gold statue (like the golden wrench or saxxy, but for almost all weapons). I have plans to implement something like class restriction removal for donors and something like a bighead mode for them as well. Of course these things can also be used by an admin on the whole server just for the fun of it. These are just some suggestions for donors mind you. You guys could probably come up with a lot of better things to improve it than I could since I just play ZF all the time.

Another thing that comes to mind is, do you want just 24/7 badwater, or would it be better suited for a rotation of a few maps? I don't know, but it couldn't hurt to explore all the options.

So to sum up point 3: Add a bit of flare to the server so its not your average vanilla server (Although vanilla is sometimes desired too, depending on the players.)

TL;DR:

We can definitely bring BadWater back if:

point 1: We need donations to get the badwater server back. This will take some commitment from us to get it started.
point 2: We need to be a better at pulling in more players, as well as improve our communication structure.
point 3: Add a bit of flare to the server so its not your average vanilla server

I'm probably forgetting something here, but oh well. Feel free to comment, append my post, or give your input/thoughts on this. I'd love to see the badwater server come back.
LB. Desseler [ATG]: Who else do you have interested?
[ATG] SanVich: well
[ATG] SanVich: i know magus is interested
[ATG] SanVich: so is Aaron, and Keef
[ATG] SanVich: and supposedly a few others that Aaron talked to as well
[ATG] SanVich: which i'm guessing would maybe include wisoka, pre, hulk
[ATG] SanVich: etc
LB. Desseler [ATG]: I would love to see us all together again.
LB. Desseler [ATG]: It's been a long time.
All-talk is not for twitter updates. Microphones are not suppositories. Learn it.

Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Re: Badwater Revival?

Post by Magus » February 18th, 2013, 10:57 pm

It's been a long time.

Armisael
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Armisael
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:22616673

Post by Armisael » February 18th, 2013, 11:08 pm

I'm certainly interested, and I'd be happy to throw a little money into the pot.

One big question if we decided to do this would be whether to enter the server in quickplay or not. It'll throw a lot of traffic towards the server, which would certainly help populate it. It's not like we aren't already on lotus servers.

Marcus
Donor
Ingame Name: [ATG] Marcus
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:11563238

Post by Marcus » February 18th, 2013, 11:26 pm

I'm in for a Badwater Revival. If we get a 24 man server, I'm pretty sure I can put some money towards the server every few months

SanVich
Manager

Post by SanVich » February 18th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Also, spread the word to other people on your buddy list if you can! I don't have all the old Badwater people on my list so I can't pull in everyone to look at this.
Armisael wrote:I'm certainly interested, and I'd be happy to throw a little money into the pot.

One big question if we decided to do this would be whether to enter the server in quickplay or not. It'll throw a lot of traffic towards the server, which would certainly help populate it. It's not like we aren't already on lotus servers.
I'd say that sounds like a good idea. But like you told me in steam chat, you can't change certain settings, like for example your server has to have random crits enabled to be eligible. But I think some of us could look past that (at least in the beginning of getting it going anyways).
All-talk is not for twitter updates. Microphones are not suppositories. Learn it.

ByronTheBulb
Donor
Ingame Name: ByronTheBulb
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by ByronTheBulb » February 18th, 2013, 11:36 pm

If it's agreed, I'll donate 20 bucks as soon as the tax return comes

Arthus
Scout
Ingame Name: [BAKED]Apple Pie
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:11965690

Post by Arthus » February 18th, 2013, 11:38 pm

I will commit $5 a month for a 24 man even with crits if it meant I could play, aka suck, with/against the old ATG crowd.

ByronTheBulb
Donor
Ingame Name: ByronTheBulb

Post by ByronTheBulb » February 18th, 2013, 11:45 pm

no rotation though. strictly BW

Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman » February 19th, 2013, 12:13 am

We should be able to get you or whoever hooked up with access to the steam grp.
<Stuff and Nonsense />

SanVich
Manager

Post by SanVich » February 19th, 2013, 12:16 am

Newman wrote:We should be able to get you or whoever hooked up with access to the steam grp.
Yeah that'd be great. If I had to pick I'd say me(since i'm like the only manager not in there) and the community team first. Then add active BW admins if and when we do get the server back up when we see who's all still active.

BoyButtSlapa
Manager

Post by BoyButtSlapa » February 19th, 2013, 12:44 am

vanilla badwater before tf2 went stupid then it would be fun to play lol thats just my opinion
Bill Whitecrow AKA [KFed] BoyButTSlaPa / FatBrown

SanVich
Manager

Post by SanVich » February 19th, 2013, 12:49 am

BoyButtSlapa wrote:vanilla badwater before tf2 went stupid then it would be fun to play lol thats just my opinion
Could get a plugin to ban certain weapons from loadouts. The ZF plugin has this built into it for banning things like the Rocket jumper and Sticky Jumper, and then forces you to use the stock weapon instead.

Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Post by Magus » February 19th, 2013, 1:10 am

Rly have to decide where we wanna take the cuts tho. Like, having the quick join option is great but we sacrifice customization (i.e. no crits) that made skilled ATG what it used to be, and we trade it for popularity. I'll def be donating, and I'll make a huge effort to play more during my free time. Also, yeah if we're going w/ plugins: Alltalk, stats, server whitelists for items (competitive servers use this), and w/e else idk. I can't wait tho. I miss all you guys. And if you want this idea to be popular, you should send this thread to all your old ATG steam friends.

Murbuto
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]MÚŔßÚŤŐ
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:19720257

Post by Murbuto » February 19th, 2013, 6:03 am

I think doing whatever possible to be added to TF2's quick join system would help as well. It would mostly attract noobs, but any joiner is a good one.
My code works 60% of the time, every time.

madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd » February 19th, 2013, 8:32 am

I'd help support from time to time like I did that last year we had BW (I was one of the few donors for quite a while there). But only if it continues getting used, ultimately why I stopped donating was that the server NEVER had anyone on it anymore, so there was no point. Using the group announcement is a decent idea, give a few more people admin to it to post announcements, sure.

And I suppose I should start up TF2 again, lol. Haven't launched the game since Dec. 5! Longest time by a lot since I got the game 4+ years ago! I got sick of all the glitches and broken crap from them adding new weapons every 2 days. Seems like that has slowed down finally?

Only thing I want to add is I am quite busy with other things these days. I'm often not around on the weekends. I'll play from time to time when I can. But don't spam me with "Hey f____er, we're playing _____ NOW!" because even if I want and can play at that time, I WILL NOT, GUARANTEED with that attitude. I'm not saying to not PM me to see if I can/want to play, but don't be an idiot about it. (This is directed at several of you, not just one hence I'm putting it here). Oh yea, and PMing me at 10:30PM EST to come start a game isn't going to get you anywhere...
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica