Proper TF2 Server Growth and Etiquette

Post your favorite TF moments, problems, maps, and anything else.
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Re: Proper TF2 Server Growth and Etiquette

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

Change badwater's server name to at least include Badwater in the title since that is all we play?
Random Chaos
Scout
Ingame Name: Random Chaos
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:31453638

Post by Random Chaos »

Continuing what Goose said:

Last night I was playing on Badwater and encountered the skill level he's referring to. The players could not even figure out there were enemies around. For example, as a sniper, I had an enemy pyro run right past me on a staircase and not even realize I was there. The players did not know how to deal with a bad spy (couldn't even always remember to disguise). No communication. Heavies standing still revving their gun and forgetting to press fire while they were gunned down by a pyro or scout.

Yeah, our team got rolled. But it was not because the other team was good. It was because our team was so useless. Their team had a lot of newbies on it and a couple good players (Marcus, Seth), but the newbies on their team at least knew how to fire their guns.

:(
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Goose and Random nailed it I think. I've seen some amazing fail on pub servers, like snipers trying to snipe through solid glass windows (sorta like that video that was posted a couple weeks ago) and the like. The heavy revving the gun but not firing thing is VERY common...and really it all goes back to F2P. Don't get me wrong, some F2P people are solid and many have migrated to not-F2P, but many of the remainder are pretty scary...I did not and still don't agree with the decision by Valve to go F2P, but what's done is done. But I don't have an answer to keeping our server full, at least not until the skill level from the non-regs comes up a LOT.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
BoyButtSlapa
Manager
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by BoyButtSlapa »

Hmmm. Interesting enough to read the forums time to time. I do find it kind of funny since I haven't played for a while. Just got plain and sick of all the shitty stuff valve has done to the game. adding more and more shit . basically trying to use team fortress as a selling point for other games. i mean yeah they are times where the game, people, and self skill piss the person off, but where to start. we had all these players that personally loved the 32 man server. but then we had to degrade it because of whining shitheads that wanted to change it because (its not like gay league play) and oh so much spam. Thats what made it ATG Badwater. aka get good or gtfo. now pub is pub and funner then noobs who think their great because they play competitive, but managed to convince everyone to go the way of 24. now alot of non existing regulars left because it changed. now to touch on keeping this server going. all you regulars and admins that are great players and are completely dominating, change your class to something your bad at and stick to it to ever it out. you are the reasons why people rage quit. plus i say get rid of the stupid point system or reset it every month, because all it does is bring point whoring team stacking assholes that think they are doing good but are not. and for all you supposedly good medics, try uber everyone and not that same person over and over, or save that uber for kritz spam on the same person for points. top of that STICK TO THE RULES and non regs and REGULARS CAUGHT CAMPING THE RED SINGLE DOOR BEFORE 2ND CAP WHEN I AM PLAYING WILL BEGIN WITH 1 DAY BANS. 1st warning to regulars. same things i have bitched about before. remember you want this server to continue growing strong, play like a community. keep the balance.

anyways later
Bill Whitecrow AKA [KFed] BoyButTSlaPa / FatBrown
Txtwo
Donor
Ingame Name: Skon

Post by Txtwo »

BoyButtSlapa wrote:Hmmm. Interesting enough to read the forums time to time. I do find it kind of funny since I haven't played for a while. Just got plain and sick of all the shitty stuff valve has done to the game. adding more and more shit . basically trying to use team fortress as a selling point for other games. i mean yeah they are times where the game, people, and self skill piss the person off, but where to start. we had all these players that personally loved the 32 man server. but then we had to degrade it because of whining shitheads that wanted to change it because (its not like gay league play) and oh so much spam. Thats what made it ATG Badwater. aka get good or gtfo. now pub is pub and funner then noobs who think their great because they play competitive, but managed to convince everyone to go the way of 24. now alot of non existing regulars left because it changed. now to touch on keeping this server going. all you regulars and admins that are great players and are completely dominating, change your class to something your bad at and stick to it to ever it out. you are the reasons why people rage quit. plus i say get rid of the stupid point system or reset it every month, because all it does is bring point whoring team stacking assholes that think they are doing good but are not. and for all you supposedly good medics, try uber everyone and not that same person over and over, or save that uber for kritz spam on the same person for points. top of that STICK TO THE RULES and non regs and REGULARS CAUGHT CAMPING THE RED SINGLE DOOR BEFORE 2ND CAP WHEN I AM PLAYING WILL BEGIN WITH 1 DAY BANS. 1st warning to regulars. same things i have bitched about before. remember you want this server to continue growing strong, play like a community. keep the balance.

anyways later
Drunk post?
Dan(omite)
Donor
Ingame Name: Dan(omite)
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:16930891

Post by Dan(omite) »

BoyButtSlapa wrote:Hmmm. Interesting enough to read the forums time to time. I do find it kind of funny since I haven't played for a while. Just got plain and sick of all the shitty stuff valve has done to the game. adding more and more shit . basically trying to use team fortress as a selling point for other games. i mean yeah they are times where the game, people, and self skill piss the person off, but where to start. we had all these players that personally loved the 32 man server. but then we had to degrade it because of whining shitheads that wanted to change it because (its not like gay league play) and oh so much spam. Thats what made it ATG Badwater. aka get good or gtfo. now pub is pub and funner then noobs who think their great because they play competitive, but managed to convince everyone to go the way of 24. now alot of non existing regulars left because it changed. now to touch on keeping this server going. all you regulars and admins that are great players and are completely dominating, change your class to something your bad at and stick to it to ever it out. you are the reasons why people rage quit. plus i say get rid of the stupid point system or reset it every month, because all it does is bring point whoring team stacking assholes that think they are doing good but are not. and for all you supposedly good medics, try uber everyone and not that same person over and over, or save that uber for kritz spam on the same person for points. top of that STICK TO THE RULES and non regs and REGULARS CAUGHT CAMPING THE RED SINGLE DOOR BEFORE 2ND CAP WHEN I AM PLAYING WILL BEGIN WITH 1 DAY BANS. 1st warning to regulars. same things i have bitched about before. remember you want this server to continue growing strong, play like a community. keep the balance.

anyways later
I agree... I dont think we should cater to the new players, but its pretty sad when I see some ATG regulars camping a spawn with only one door, setting up chinese sentries right outside the door, etc. I don't care if there are ways around it or if you think it makes you look cool. It is griefing and doesn't make the game fun or inviting for anyone, even us other regulars. You can enjoy the game other ways and make it fun for all players instead of being a douchebag. There are some elitists here who just kill the server. Yes, you are good (way better than me) but you are also the ones who have brought down the quality of gameplay around here. There is showing off your skill, and then there is just being a dick.
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Post by Magus »

anyways later
To be clear, I was the one who suggested we downgrade the server to 24 man from 32 man, and I loved the 32 man server as much as you did. Fact is, we downgraded b/c the game just isn't built for 32 man and the server quality was pushing people away. Sorry, but playing w/ shit fps because of server-side, not clientside, issues is not a way to bring people into the community.

On to the point where you basically called me out for being a competitive player *lets not fucking beat around the bush here, we all know who the FUCK you're talking to* you're an ignorant elitist PRICK (more so than any "comp" player i've ever met) if you feel you can belittle people because they choose to play the game a certain way and dedicate more time to it then most "pubs" care to. The fact that you even bring "competitive" players into this is a fucking joke, and you need to wake up.

Secondly, I can play whatever the FUCK class I want to play in ATG. If you've managed to spend any time at all in the server lately, you'd see demo is probably my 3rd most played class. But that's right... You like to make generalizations without any fucking proof. You want to "lay down the law?" Well how bout you actually know how the server's been lately. I'd like to see these "regulars" who left because the server preforms better. For all i fucking care, if they want a 32 man server go play fucking two fort. There's a reason people keep coming back to our server. It's in NO way competitive quality *which i think you know absolutely nothing about and are talking out your ass about*.

Lastly, I don't think anyone who has a few hours on our server has any right to make judgements on "how things are going" in the last 6 months on the server. To be blatantly honest, you have no fucking clue. Sorry.
Armisael
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Armisael
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:22616673

Post by Armisael »

I asked magus a question about AndyADD. Then he saw that post. I told him to leave it alone.
1:00 AM - LG | Magus^: too late
1:01 AM - [ATG] Armisael: that was not too late
1:01 AM - [ATG] Armisael: that was like 5 minutes
1:01 AM - [ATG] Armisael: that was you ignoring me
1:01 AM - LG | Magus^: that may be true.
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

And most of the things you said that I didn't respond to... well quite honestly the pissed me off so bad that I almost just fucking threw my computer. Especially where you tried to tell medics how to play.

Get a fucking grip you retard. You have no idea how to play medic correctly.
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

I've been quiet too long on this one.

I agree with both Boybutt and Magus. I enjoyed 32 Player way more, but hell the server couldn't handle it, so I believe 24 is the better choice here. It runs smoother and is a little less crowded.

Having a One Map, One Server really limits who will join. (i.e. we are losing the Koth, Capture etc.. Players)
So the most important thing is keeping our regulars happy. Because at the end of the day, Regulars are the ones keeping this server alive.

I play on ATG for a few reasons and one of them is the Challenge I get. I won't get any good playing this random valve server, where I can get over 10 k/d Ratio.

Now saying this, this is where I take Boybutt's Side. One thing I hate the most, SPAWN CAMPING. You expect it on Valve and random Piece of shit servers. But I wouldn't expect this on ATG. I've played maybe 2-3 hours this week. Each time I got thrown on the "Bad" Team and got Spawn Camped. I'm not talking 3 Door Spawn Camping.
I'm talking Blue, After 3rd Point, 1 Door Spawn Camp. Red, Final Point, Lower Spawn. I had to change equipment to re-spawn upstairs.
and I mean Stickies, Mini Sentries, Lvl 1-2 and 3 Sentries, Spies Face Stabbing, Heavy/Medics and much much more.

I've been very very conservative with my Ban Hammer, I've Never had to Ban or Kick anyone YET(Although sometimes I'm just about to and someone else does it first). If this shit continues, I'm going to start swinging it Like the Hammer in Super Smash Bros. I don't give a shit if it's an Admin or Not. Being Spawn Camped with a 1 door spawn KILLS THE SERVER within minutes. I'd rather lose one player than 5.

So STOP DOING IT FFS.
Armisael
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Armisael
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:22616673

Post by Armisael »

I really doubt that anyone on the forums is going to come out in favor of spawn camping.

That said, if there aren't any enemies between you and the enemy spawn (presumably you've killed them all), I don't mind if you start hammering a spawn door. What else are you supposed to do? Stop attacking entirely? As long as you aren't ignoring the objective, you're doing your job.

Blu will camp the door from red spawn to the seconds point if the cart isnt at second yet. I've seen ubers that went particularly well clear out second before the cart ever reaches first. Should blu just give up all that territory?

On the last point, as long as blu is pushing the cart, they can (and should) hit those spawn doors as hard as they can. Unless you'd prefer that they idiotically all cluster on the cart to make it go zero percent faster.

No one seems to object to red spawncamping blu right after setup ends, so I'm not going to talk about red camps.

EDIT: also, I'm pretty sure the server died because we all played other games for about a month and a half at the beginning of the summer. A server with no regulars is a dead server.
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Armisael wrote:I really doubt that anyone on the forums is going to come out in favor of spawn camping.
Funny thing to say when you start defending it right away. Like it's a good thing to do. It has it's moments. I mean I wont say anything If I walk out of spawn and I get killed by one single person spawn camping. Alright I can manage and I'll find a way to beat him. But what I've seen lately, it's half of the other team. We're being spawn camped for a reason, our team can't coordinate for shit. Do you really think we can get out of this?? Nope. And then half our team rage quits and when the round ends, the server pretty much dies.

Also, about the server dying. I wasn't comparing last year to today. Yes we all played different games, we got bored from Valve's numerous item, bug releases so some ATG members don't even play TF2 anymore. What I meant was, You join the server, let's say 22/24. If a team gets single door spawn camped. it will quickly drop to 12/24 or even lower.

You can say all you want, but it's in the Server Rules, And Even though "No One" should be in favor, I find it "funny" That some still end up doing it.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

We have a clear rule at least regarding NO spawn camping on Red spawn before point 2 is captured. Now personally I have no issue with the OUTER door being camped, but these players that go clear to the actual spawn door and sit there for 5 minutes camping, I'm no longer tolerating it. One warning, then done. I'm as guilty as others in not enforcing this rule, though I try to avoid camping altogether (aside from outer Red spawn door right by 2. That's not the only way to front lines so meh. Sentry there is a bit much though I'd say).

As far as other spawn camping, particularly at last, that's kind of the point of that point. Bottle up Red so you can cap.

Pre-point 2 cap blue-spawn-camping is clearly against server rules, let's all stop. Plenty of our admins and regs guilty of this, and that's not cool.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

I'd say the door by 2 isn't even an issue. Chances are, if they're camping that door, you're going to OR deserve to lose that point shortly anyway.

I can't say I've ever found an issue with that door when playing on red. Just walk/jump around. Takes 5-10 extra seconds, but that's what happens when you lose a point.
Demoman
Ingame Name: Avatar
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:11033851

Post by Avatar »

I have no idea what this thread is about, so let me drop my opinion anyways.
ATG and team fortress 2 USED to be good. The whole reason anyone came to this server over any other was the challenge. Seeing people you knew to be good on both your and the enemy team ensured a quality match.

Through either Valve's fault/regulars leaving/acts of God, etc. this is no longer the case.

edit: emphasis.