Proper TF2 Server Growth and Etiquette

Post your favorite TF moments, problems, maps, and anything else.
xxplicitt
Demoman
Ingame Name: xxplicitt
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:15962518

Re: Proper TF2 Server Growth and Etiquette

Post by xxplicitt »

I'm probably very guilty of yelling at F2P people on the server, I think I'll stop that when I'm on ATG servers from now on. I'd like this community to grow as well.

When it comes to class limits, they have never really bothered me. If I find that there are too many soldiers or demos I normally go medic and try to support the team. If the limits were removed I probably wouldn't mind too much either until there are 5 heavies standing outside of blu spawn melting our faces and causing rage quits.

Last, I want to bring up a question. Do you guys feel like adding a small map rotation instead of having Badwater 24/7 would help bring in more people as well? Personally I get bored sometimes and I find myself on other servers that rotate maps just because I don't feel like seeing the same layout that BW offers time in and time out. I know that map changing sometimes doesn't allow the server to refill so then it could also end up being counter productive.
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Post by Magus »

TBH: Badwater is the only map I feel okay to pub on. If there was a rotation, I'm not sure how much I'd personally stick around because I just wouldn't enjoy the maps as much.
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

In the two years since we founded ATG we have had quite a few different servers
24/7 Badwater and 2Fort
Payload (Rotation)
CTF (Rotation)
CP (Rotation)
PropHunt (Rotation)
Zombie Fortress, Vanilla and Perks
and some I'm probably forgetting.

What I'm getting at with this post is it seems to me that a 24/7 server holds people longer, and I think it is related to a map change. Over the last few days I have been playing on quite a few different servers, mostly Payload maps. What I have noticed is that even if the map stays the same but reloads after say 30 minutes, the number of people that stay in the server decreases severely.

I'm not against changing the map at all.
<Stuff and Nonsense />
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

Do a server with payload maps on rotation or vote. It will be full 24/7, I know I would be on there all day long. Maybe we can get Hulk to play more. LOL
Lord Melchior
Ingame Name: [ATG] Lord Melchior
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:24385041

Post by Lord Melchior »

I think we should have a european server.

Servers are always empty during my daytime. :c
When I see european server (or Dutch/German/French) I feel more obliged to play on it because I get better ping/framerate.
also EUROPE FTW

Also I've bene getting some of my IRL friends to play TF2 since it's F2P, but they say it's boring :/
Tobuoi
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Tobuoi
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23563807

Post by Tobuoi »

What if we got rid of class restrictions and left it up to admins to make sure that things don't get out of hand?
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

And how do admins enforce? What do they enforce?
Tobuoi
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Tobuoi
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23563807

Post by Tobuoi »

Well, if there are, say, eight Heavies on one team and things are getting out of hand, we could tell players to knock it off or get kicked. We could even add something to the MotD that says something along the lines of, "We have gotten rid of class restrictions but you are still expected to not act like a jackass".

I dunno. It would obviously be circumstantial but it's just a thought. I don't care too much, either way.
Random Chaos
Scout
Ingame Name: Random Chaos
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:31453638

Post by Random Chaos »

Maybe if we left class restrictions on only three classes:

Max 3 heavies - prevent massive heavy-medic spawn camping
Max 3 snipers - mostly to force more offense classes
Max 3 spies - mostly to force more offense classes

Everything else is open.

The goal would be to make sure that demos, soldiers, pyros, and medics are completely unrestricted.

Engineers rarely unbalance. Too many engineers mean too little support of the engineers, meaning they fail. Good players self balance engineers to a good level. By leaving it unlimited, it means another player can go engineer at the start to upgrade teles and such to help get a fast start for red.

Scouts are annoying and should be limited at ZERO :) - but everyone who plays scout will be pissed off :) - unfortunately one good scout is overpowered and 10 poor scouts is underpowered. Thus scout limiting is useless.

Thoughts?
Lemoxe

Post by Lemoxe »

--
Last edited by Lemoxe on February 22nd, 2016, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

All valid points for removing restrictions, but all I have to say is there's a reason we started restricting them in the first place...

Not saying I don't agree, though.
Armisael
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Armisael
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:22616673

Post by Armisael »

Magus wrote:All valid points for removing restrictions, but all I have to say is there's a reason we started restricting them in the first place...

Not saying I don't agree, though.
I'm pretty sure that that reason was the war update and we didn't want teams that were both 8 soldiers and 8 demos. I think removing the class limits for a test period is a good idea. After a week or two, we make a decision about how its working out.

Personally, I would be very interested in adding a map change vote with a few good maps (upward and thundermountain, maybe). If people vote to not change the map (or not enough people vote period), the server stays 24/7 badwater.

Also, please get rid of the F2P plugin.
SALT
Scout
Ingame Name: SALT
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by SALT »

I do not like Thunder Mtn, Arm!

The final stage is garbage.
Hell_Rell
Heavy
Ingame Name: Hell Rell

Post by Hell_Rell »

xxplicitt wrote:I'm probably very guilty of yelling at F2P people on the server, I think I'll stop that when I'm on ATG servers from now on. I'd like this community to grow as well.

When it comes to class limits, they have never really bothered me. If I find that there are too many soldiers or demos I normally go medic and try to support the team. If the limits were removed I probably wouldn't mind too much either until there are 5 heavies standing outside of blu spawn melting our faces and causing rage quits.

Last, I want to bring up a question. Do you guys feel like adding a small map rotation instead of having Badwater 24/7 would help bring in more people as well? Personally I get bored sometimes and I find myself on other servers that rotate maps just because I don't feel like seeing the same layout that BW offers time in and time out. I know that map changing sometimes doesn't allow the server to refill so then it could also end up being counter productive.
Never admit guilt.
Killer
Admin
Ingame Name: Killer
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:13902581

Post by Killer »

Lemoxe wrote:Can we just get rid of class limits - it's even more aggravating when admins can kick you off a slot and when you ask for it back it's just 'herp derp go fuck yourself i'm admin.' Then it doesn't feel like teamwork because while they get to play whatever they want I'm stuck with a class I don't want to play - I usually end up leaving because it's bullshit. You get to have fun while I don't?

Seriously, things tend to work out - just get rid of class restrictions. If I'm on a team on a continual losing streak, I'll realize I can't play the class I'm playing to it's full extent until we start winning so I'll switch to a useful class.
There are 9 classes, I completely agree with Lem. They all have checks and balances and can counter one another, if you are getting shit rolled, change classes and accommodate. Remove class restrictions.
Killer.