Proper TF2 Server Growth and Etiquette

Post your favorite TF moments, problems, maps, and anything else.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Re: Proper TF2 Server Growth and Etiquette

Post by madmattd »

I think class limits need to stay on a couple classes. Namely Spy and Sniper. Not because I hate to face a team of that composition. But because I have been on far too many 10-man teams with 4 spies and 4 snipers, and it is just plain stupid. It leads to either that team being completely rolled (if on defense) and emptying the server, or that team not getting 2 inches out of spawn owing to having 2 offensive players. Again, server empties. Facing a bunch of demos is annoying, but counterable to an extent. The sheer amount of spam most demos put out is ridiculous, so I say tough call on the demos.

I'd be fine with removing class restrictions on the rest. Facing a bunch of engies means more teamwork. Same for many heavies. All medic is plain funny. But being stuck on the team with 8 useless slots (okay, maybe one sniper and one spy are good, the rest usually suck) isn't cool.

On another topic, I've been getting a lot of crap from ATG people lately for playing on non-ATG servers when ours needs filling. Usually if I don't come join soon (ie within 5-10 min) it is because I am playing with a couple of my RL friends, ones that don't care to play on ATG. I don't leave a server mid-round, and some people have been non-stop pestering while I am trying to finish a round and THEN come help seed. What do I do when this occurs? I usually quit TF2 altogether. One of these friends I refer to doesn't like our servers because we're just plain too good and he rarely plays, so being on ATG server is not fun for him. Not going to change his opinion on that, so don't bother guys. he's right to a point too. I guess I'm just saying to ease off. I can't help it if I'm paying with some friends and 4 other ATG people follow me. Yes, I know some of you are just kidding when you say what you say, but some of it has gone a bit over the edge. I'm not going to get into names, or even talking about it with them. This is all I am saying on that.

Kill the F2P plugin. Yea it was kind of funny, but there is a valid reason for nixing it, and I am all for it.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Derp
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Derp ♥
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:28615454

Post by Derp »

Zf Etiquette at it's best:

How can you say you love her if you won't eat her brains? - Derp ♥
Derp, I have a question... Hi. - Brownie
PRETENDICA
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] PRETENDICA
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:17130959

Post by PRETENDICA »

1st: WTF, Derp.
2nd: If there are 4 spies and 4 snipers on your team Mattd, you fucking drop bombs on those dipshits and tell them they're a bunch of dildo hoarding turd burglars. That ought to make em change class.
3rd: WTF, Derp.
Image <---Thanks, Tahko!
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

PRETENDICA wrote:1st: WTF, Derp.
2nd: If there are 4 spies and 4 snipers on your team Mattd, you fucking drop bombs on those dipshits and tell them they're a bunch of dildo hoarding turd burglars. That ought to make em change class.
3rd: WTF, Derp.
My rage seems to be less effective than yours Pre. It tends to have the opposite effect, we end up with 6 snipers, 5 spies... :roll:
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Post by Magus »

Pretendica I just want you to know you literally made me spit out orange juice.
Random Chaos
Scout
Ingame Name: Random Chaos
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:31453638

Post by Random Chaos »

*switches to spy sniper using only the Ambassador whenever Madmatt joins the server*
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

SandvichSpy wrote:Hay guys let's do a spie rush when mattd is on the other team lololololololololzzz
I don't give a crap when it's on the other team...I'll burn all you fools :D

Well, I care if it's pissing off the few people on said other team trying to play right.
Tobuoi
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Tobuoi
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23563807

Post by Tobuoi »

The biggest problem I see with getting rid of class restrictions is that even if we regulars/admins know how to deal with getting rolled, most people don't and are likely to rage after a round or two, leaving our server dead within a matter of minutes, sometimes.
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

Tobuoi wrote:The biggest problem I see with getting rid of class restrictions is that even if we regulars/admins know how to deal with getting rolled, most people don't and are likely to rage after a round or two, leaving our server dead within a matter of minutes, sometimes.
+1
Derp
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Derp ♥
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:28615454

Post by Derp »

We must install a new mod that disables the players ability to choose a class. It'll give them a random class to begin a round. After that player makes (3)three kills it'll force the player to change class. This way the player can never be overpowering, and make the noobs ragequit. Also, if that player continues to kill other players with all the classes he'll be autobanned for 30min. And we should also disable all weapons except the original vanilla weapons. And we should make it a 24/7 2fort server.
How can you say you love her if you won't eat her brains? - Derp ♥
Derp, I have a question... Hi. - Brownie
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

on the topic of dieing server.

i find it pathetic coming into the server, having our own regulars purposly trolling players and causing the server to die.

and not to name names but we still have regulars going back to single spawn doors and camping them while there is admins on.

the rules apply to everyone not just new people.
Random Chaos
Scout
Ingame Name: Random Chaos
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:31453638

Post by Random Chaos »

I hate to say it, but even with class restrictions, there were a lot of times I saw teams getting rolled badly. Unless you limit demos and heavies to 0, you can get a roll easily with the right players.

I somehow don't think that works :)
goose
Admin
Ingame Name: Goose
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by goose »

1) Revert cart to old form.

2) Take caps from 3 to 4.
goose
Admin
Ingame Name: Goose
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by goose »

Main issue is the lack of skill.

Lack of skill of the new players joining.
The ATG server is actually far and above the best pub server out there. I've played on a fair share of random servers, and let me tell you most of the players blow hairy balls. So being even a decent player with common sense can make you awesome. But enough on that. The problem is all the new players and f2p are terribads. They join our server and see a concentration of players who know what they are doing and either think, A) this is a hacker server, B) these guys are too good for me. So these players with limited skill join the lotus's and the drunken brawls and fill them up.

Tell me this isnt the case.
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

What Goose said is true. Take me, on our server I'm average at best. On a random pub server I can rape and easily top the scoreboard.
<Stuff and Nonsense />