Running Steam games from 2 different drives

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Marcus
Donor
Ingame Name: [ATG] Marcus
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:11563238

Running Steam games from 2 different drives

Post by Marcus »

I recently got an SSD for my laptop and a modular tray to install a second hard drive instead of a DVD drive in the modular slot. I found a program that allows you to run games both on the SSD and the HDD with a single Steam install. So I can run some games off the SSD for fast loads and the others off the regular HDD if load speed isn't important. Be aware only games that are under the path ...\steam\steamapps\common\ are movable, some games like the original Portal can't be moved b/c it shares files with the source engine files (ie HL2/TF2) in the ...steam\steamapps\[username]\ path.

Steam Tool Library Manager

And if there was a discussion thread on this subject before, sorry for reposting.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Re: Running Steam games from 2 different drives

Post by madmattd »

+rep. O wait...

Still, cool to know. Might have to jump on this, I have a bunch of games not installed due to space issues (80ish GB left).
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Re: Running Steam games from 2 different drives

Post by Stephen »

This was a good idea about a year ago with small drives but just recently alot of people are having lots of corruption issues and also uninstall issues, its more with doing this process with other applications though,.
Most people end up having to format so just be warned ahead of time