Odd Wireless Router/Networking issue.

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
xxplicitt
Demoman
Ingame Name: xxplicitt
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:15962518

Odd Wireless Router/Networking issue.

Post by xxplicitt »

First of all, I miss you ladies :[

Ok, now onto the problem. For the past 2 or 3 weeks I've been having a really weird issue with my internet or router. It began when I noticed my connection speed was just dropping to the point that I couldn't access any sites or anything that required an internet connection. But my internet was still showing it was connected. The low connectivity would continue until I reset both my modem and router. Eventually this drop would happen and I would try to view my routers page but the router stopped existing on the network page (even though Win7 showed there was a connection).

I assumed it was my router since it's about 5 years old (Linksys WRT54GL) and decided to disconnect everything and connect my PC directly to the modem. After I did that the problem ceased to exist so I came to the conclusion that it wasn't Comcast and I ordered a new WRT54GL.

After setting up the new router everything was fine for about 30-40 minutes until I noticed a quick drop. I didn't have to reset my modem or router since the internet came back up to speed on it's own but I noticed the router isn't showing on my network page now.

Any idea what this could be?
Marcus
Donor
Ingame Name: [ATG] Marcus
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:11563238

Re: Odd Wireless Router/Networking issue.

Post by Marcus »

I'm assuming you are connected through the wireless?

I had problems with neighboring routers transmitting on the same channel that caused interference with mine so I changed the channel from the default one.

I had a WRT54G2 v1.5 (specifically the v1.5 revision) that was not connecting to the internet or home network through the wireless, it needed to be reset everyday (power cycled) to prevent it from hanging. I never figured out what the problem was b/c I replaced it with a Linksys E2000
xxplicitt
Demoman
Ingame Name: xxplicitt
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:15962518

Post by xxplicitt »

I had changed the channel as well after Hell Rell suggested it but that never fixed it. It's been about 20 hours now and the problem has seen to have been fixed with the new router so I guess I'm good for now. Although the router is still hidden on the network devices page.
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

You can try Enabling uPnP in the router settings to be able to see it under Network Devices.

And make sure to turn on Network Discovery in Windows as well.