PSU blew out

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

PSU blew out

Post by Magus »

A few weeks ago.

Took pretty much everything with it.

Get this, intel wasn't going to replace the CPU for me, b/c I had 1600mHz ram. Even tho the mobo is compatibile w/ it, the CPU "Can't take that speed. It could blow it out!" said an Intel tech agent. What the fucking idiot didn't know is the board I have has a limiter in the Bios to protect the CPU. Fucking idiots. Ever company.
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Re: PSU blew out

Post by Stephen »

All sandy bridge chips are set at 1333 spec running over is technically overclocking

and most likely your cpu is fine from a psu blow out usualy only thing that goes is the mobo

every time ive dealt with a blow out cpu never went mobo 75% went and ram was about 50% but usualy was fine. and ive been seen alot of blow outs
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

Corsair Vengance series. 2x4gb sticks. 1600 mHz.

I doubt the ram was the cause of the issue though. As well as I doubt the CPU was the issue.

However, I probably will need to change BIOS settings when I get all the parts back. How do I changed the max-ram speed so I can limit it at 1333?
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

there will be ram mhz, ram not going to blow out your psu. 1600mhz is pretty much the standard right now.

intel is just covering there asses

replace the mobo and everythign else should be fine.
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

Everything else isn't fine tho. The ram sticks are bad and so is the CPU for sure. Can't test the VGA yet tho.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

how do you figure
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

Magus wrote:A few weeks ago.

Took pretty much everything with it.

Get this, intel wasn't going to replace the CPU for me, b/c I had 1600mHz ram. Even tho the mobo is compatibile w/ it, the CPU "Can't take that speed. It could blow it out!" said an Intel tech agent. What the fucking idiot didn't know is the board I have has a limiter in the Bios to protect the CPU. Fucking idiots. Ever company.
Are you certain it was the PSU? That Corsair TX750 you were using is a re-branded SeaSonic drive. Seasonic is arguably the best & most reliable hard drive manufacturer out there. I am not eliminating the possibility that it was the PSU, but would like to eliminate all other possibilities first. My main question is are you using any type of surge protection? That would be my number one guess as to what would cause this problem. When my parents moved out to an area where the town provided it's own electrical power 12 years ago, we learned the hard way. A storm cause a power surge through the phone line (56k modem back then) which fried the motherboard and modem.
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

I'm sure it was the PSU.

First off, yes, I used a surge protector.

Second, when I had initial fears, i pulled my powersupply out and tested it by connecting a metal wire from a powered input to the ground for the PSU. On a WORKING PSU, the fan on the psu will start up. I believe this is referred to as the Paperclip test. Anyways, Yes. The fan never turned on.

After getting a powersupply replacement in the mail, on initial boot, my MoBo's DRAM_LED light was on. After trying different ram sticks that i know WORK, that light went out, but my CPU_LED light went on. This leads me to believe all my peripherals are fried.

What's most troubling, is the deluxe ASUS board I made has extra voltage protectors for the CPU. It's the hardest thing for it to blow out. Right now, I have no idea if my USB drives or HDD work or anything, and won't know til I get replacements for the other parts.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

The ram and cpu l8ghts dont nessecarly mean there dead, ive had them light up when w8th them being fineand just a bad mobo

So like i said change the mobo and u will be fine
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

What I'm saying is, I tried DIFFERENT ram sticks, and the lights went off.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

And what im trying to say is dont rely on a dead motherboard to trouble shoot
ByronTheBulb
Donor
Ingame Name: ByronTheBulb
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by ByronTheBulb »

crap, does that mean i'll have to lower my ram's frequency as well or run the risk of encounter magus' situation? i also bought corsair vengeance for my i5.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

No 1600mhz is nothing on the cpu just say u have 1333 inthe ultra rare event ur cpu dies