new comp, still no wired connection

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Re: new comp, still no wired connection

Post by Stephen »

Well ur screwed unless u can mud n tape good, or want ugly wire molding
Marcus
Donor
Ingame Name: [ATG] Marcus
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:11563238

Post by Marcus »

ByronTheBulb wrote:
checked the dd-wrt website again. they said applying the correct firmware onto the Cisco/Linksys E2000 won't brick it and i would be able to revert to stock firmware if need be.
(http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000)
Funny I just bought a Linksys E3000 yesterday for 90$ and tried using dd-wrt firmware. It didn't brick it if you do it correctly. Flash your router with the 1st firmware, then the second one. I finally reverted back to stock firmware because of another client or bridge router couldn't load dd-wrt firmware (dumb me didn't check before flashing my E3000). All is working fine now currently connected to the E3000. But then again isn't bridging 2 routers the same thing as using a wireless card?
ByronTheBulb
Donor
Ingame Name: ByronTheBulb
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by ByronTheBulb »

Stephen wrote:Well ur screwed unless u can mud n tape good, or want ugly wire molding
yeah, can't do it. not MY place
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

Marcus wrote:
ByronTheBulb wrote:
checked the dd-wrt website again. they said applying the correct firmware onto the Cisco/Linksys E2000 won't brick it and i would be able to revert to stock firmware if need be.
(http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000)
Funny I just bought a Linksys E3000 yesterday for 90$ and tried using dd-wrt firmware. It didn't brick it if you do it correctly. Flash your router with the 1st firmware, then the second one. I finally reverted back to stock firmware because of another client or bridge router couldn't load dd-wrt firmware (dumb me didn't check before flashing my E3000). All is working fine now currently connected to the E3000. But then again isn't bridging 2 routers the same thing as using a wireless card?
cool beans, i guess i'll flash it then. and yeah, i guess it's the same as a wireless card, but if i bridge the router, i wouldn't have to buy a new wireless card or take the one out of my current comp.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Marcus wrote:But then again isn't bridging 2 routers the same thing as using a wireless card?
Basically, yup.

Byron, the 448 core 560TI is definitely better than a reg 560TI, the 448 core is VERY close to a 570 performance out of the box, and overclocks almost as well as the reg 560TI (but has the extra cores which makes a definite difference). That said, both are very strong cards. You'll be happy with either.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

but they run very hot, most people cant sli them because they overheat. not point in spending the extra money when you can flash most 560tis to a 570 and get more performance for less heat then a dead 580 rebranded to a 560ti 448 core
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

madmatt: well, the regular 560 ti is coming in the mail already (should arrive by tomorrow the latest). if i was able to capitalize on the 448 deal 2 weeks ago ($240 +batman AA), i definitely would have chose that.

stephen: how much hotter would it have been? i never planned on doing sli anyway

i should really fix up the wireless bridge by tonight, but i'm so lazy.
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

noooo, turns out i have to apply the firmware onto the main router as well.

problem with that is 1) not mine 2) verizon fios modem/router.

looks like i'll have to use my current wireless card.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

ByronTheBulb wrote:madmatt: well, the regular 560 ti is coming in the mail already (should arrive by tomorrow the latest). if i was able to capitalize on the 448 deal 2 weeks ago ($240 +batman AA), i definitely would have chose that.

stephen: how much hotter would it have been? i never planned on doing sli anyway

i should really fix up the wireless bridge by tonight, but i'm so lazy.
It will still be plenty of card unless you are doing 3-monitor gaming or something.

As for how much hotter, if you get a non-reference cooling system (ie a better one than the Nvidia standard), heat will not be an issue whatsoever. The same is true for pretty much any card: reference coolers suck. Nvidia and AMD have the same level there. Think about how stock CPU coolers are: they work, but not great.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Marcus
Donor
Ingame Name: [ATG] Marcus
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:11563238

Post by Marcus »

ByronTheBulb wrote:noooo, turns out i have to apply the firmware onto the main router as well.

problem with that is 1) not mine 2) verizon fios modem/router.

looks like i'll have to use my current wireless card.
My stock router that is connected to my DSL modem and I have a router with DD-WRT connected to the stock router. You don't need to set it up as a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) requiring both routers to have DD-WRT, you can just set it up as a Wireless Ethernet Bridge, so your E2000 would connect to the verizon one. You just need to set the SSID and Security with the same settings. To make your DD-WRT on your E2000 connect to your Verizon one, add the Mac Address of your Verizon modem/router to DD-WRT and set the wifi connection to Client Bridge, it's supposed to work.
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

thanks, marcus. my GPU should be here in a few hours, so hopefully i can tweak my e2000 by then.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

most people are getting 70-80 at full load, i know a guy that has 2 asus direct copper 2 448 cores and they run 90-100c in sli, he had to take one out kept overheating.
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

^^^
if that's the case, i'm glad i didn't order the 448 cores now.

usps, you slow mofos. GPU was in my town since 11am, but i'm still getting it tomorrow.

and fuck yeah, wireless bridge finally works! took me so long. so many hard resets...so so many. thanks for the help, guys! and marcus, your last min tips helped a shitload. time to test it out!