new comp, still no wired connection

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
ByronTheBulb
Donor
Ingame Name: ByronTheBulb
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

new comp, still no wired connection

Post by ByronTheBulb »

alrighty, i'm finally building a new comp! Everything, but the GPU is being shipped now. Gonna wait 1-2 more weeks until I see a good deal for a GTX 560 ti 448 cores. Just missed out on the newegg one, but I'm hopeful!

Problem is that I still have to go wireless. I'm still living with my folks and my room is way too far from the router. I've been checking online for good wireless adapters that would be suitable for gaming, but none seem to have consistently good reviews. For every 5 good reviews, there's 1 that says the wireless adapter has connectivity issues with gaming.

Should I use another router (Cisco E2000) as a wireless bridge and run the risk of having it bricked?
Or should I just take a chance buying a wireless adapter?

**Wired is pretty much out of the question as the main router is 1 floor down, 2 rooms across.**

I'll post pics of my build when it's complete!
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH

Re: new comp, still no wired connection

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

Your probablybetter off just getting a 56ti and not the 448 core not much improvement for the price when u can oc or flash it to the same preformace
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Have you ever considered Power Line Networking?

It's a Tool you hook up to Any Power Jack, Plug in a Network Cable into it. and it carries it over your in house's Power Lines.

You have to consider that most house have 2 line intakes (Hence your House's Electrical Panel is divided into two sections) As long as both units are plugged into the same intake/Section. This will work.

Simple test, if your PCs/Rooms Breaker and Routers Breaker are both Left or Right on the Panel, they're from the same Intake, which will work.

Here's an Example.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB101-P ... B001AGM2VI

or the newer one

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-XAVB5001- ... b_title_ce
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

molimo electrical panels phases arent divided on left and right side otherwise you wouldnt get 240v to any appliance, with out compilying with code.

depending on the panel its devided every second breaker.

power line are fine but theres alot of interferance aswell as wireless, espically if you have gfi plugins or or gfi and arc fault breakers, plus florecent lights give off alot of harmonics back on the grid
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Yes you're Right, Most of the Panels have it so It's Every 2 breakers for the Phases. This gives them 240 with a Double Breaker. (Between L1 and L2)

I agree there might be interference, Depending on a lot of factors. It's an option he can check into. But if you go with quality ones, You shouldn't have any problems.
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

just ordered the evga one on amazon. paid for part of it with gift card money. until..... NEXT POST
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

Stephen wrote:Your probablybetter off just getting a 56ti and not the 448 core not much improvement for the price when u can oc or flash it to the same preformace
UNTIL i read stephen's post! just canceled the amazon order like 1 minute after i placed it.
if you think the 448 core isn't worth it, i'll just get the regular. i heard the 448 core was very "overclockable", that's why i bought that.

come to think of it, i doubt i would push my card to its limits anyway.
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

Molimo wrote:Have you ever considered Power Line Networking?

It's a Tool you hook up to Any Power Jack, Plug in a Network Cable into it. and it carries it over your in house's Power Lines.

You have to consider that most house have 2 line intakes (Hence your House's Electrical Panel is divided into two sections) As long as both units are plugged into the same intake/Section. This will work.

Simple test, if your PCs/Rooms Breaker and Routers Breaker are both Left or Right on the Panel, they're from the same Intake, which will work.

Here's an Example.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB101-P ... B001AGM2VI

or the newer one

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-XAVB5001- ... b_title_ce
read your post, sounded like a good idea, until i saw the prices.
still lookin for a job so my funds are limited.
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

SandvichSpy wrote:Do you have any sort of TV Service(cable box?) set up in your room? I have some sort of splitter hooked up to my cable box in my room and I ran a cable down the side of my room to some weird motorola converter thing on my desk that then outputs an internet connection to an ethernet cord (Which I just plug into the back of my pc)
nope. no splitter in my room, let alone a tv.

checked the dd-wrt website again. they said applying the correct firmware onto the Cisco/Linksys E2000 won't brick it and i would be able to revert to stock firmware if need be.
(http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000)

if that crap doesn't work that well, then i might have to take my WMP300N (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833124069) wireless adapter/card from this comp and move it to the new comp. i was initially going to let my brother or cousin borrow my current comp, so they would be able to game.
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

which 560ti card would you guys recommend then?
initially picked the 448 cores because of the batman:AA game + "overclockability"

hopefully i can order it tonight on amazon, as all their evga 560 ti cards have rebates right now.

edit: also last day to take advantage of their rebates

edit2:
would 2gb mem be worth the price? or should i go with 1gb? overclocked 1gb??
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Mini ... 007&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Supe ... 007&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Grap ... 007&sr=1-3
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

evga has the best warrenty

powerline would be better then wireless though.

just run a line outside from your room to the room with the modem

i can assist you on switching phases on the recepticals in your room if you need be, im an electrican
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

powerline is too pricey for me. hopefully i'll find a job soon, then i'll invest in that...or my own place.

and can't run a wire from my room to the room with the modem. the main router is 1 floor down, 2 rooms across, plus people (mainly my parents) would trip over it constantly. maybe i'll learn how to fish cables, but for now i'll have to remain wireless.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

what kinda cieling is the floor below you, drywall, drop down or is it open at all?
ByronTheBulb
Donor

Post by ByronTheBulb »

drywall ceiling