Question about GPU/mobo compatibility

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Das Forscher
Admin
Ingame Name: Das Forscher
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:10843303

Question about GPU/mobo compatibility

Post by Das Forscher »

I'm probably going to be working on a new build in the near future, and I'm thinking about using an Intel CPU for the first time. I've been building my own PCs for years but I've always used gone with AMD in the past.

My understanding of how to select components is pretty basic. One thing I've never fully understood is if there are compatibility issues between different brand GPUs and motherboards. Years ago, before AMD starting working with ATI, I remember reading that using ATI cards with AMD-compatible mobos was bad because the chipset on the motherboard wasn't optimized for ATI cards or something, so I used Nvidia cards with AMD CPUS and mobos. Since AMD bought ATI I've been using their GPUs. So my question is, does it matter what GPU I'm using? Will using an ATI card cause any performance problems with an Intel build?
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Re: Question about GPU/mobo compatibility

Post by Magus »

Hey,
Just save yourself whatever headaches you're feeling right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131701

I bought this board, know many people who have bought this series of board, and everyone says it's one of the nicest boards they've owned. I didn't have any issues with it as far as compatibility goes.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

There's no issues that I am aware of on that front Das. Intel+Nvidia is the better combo imo, but Intel+AMD works perfectly fine with the core-i series chips. The other nice thing is more and more boards are capable of both XFire and SLI now, so that annoyance is mitigated (my mobo is XFire only :evil: )
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

There will be zero issuse only boils down to sli and crossfire
Das Forscher
Admin

Post by Das Forscher »

Good, thanks for the wisdom guys.

And Magus, I appreciate the recommendation. Picking a board is going to be the difficult part for me. I've been burned my bad mobos in the past (had a shitty ASRock and a very finicky Asus board in my first couple builds) so I know how much of a nightmare it can be.

It seems like there are comparatively few well-regarded Intel boards, whereas with AMD builds there were always several very well-made boards with a good range of features. My impression is that it's pretty much all or nothing with Intel boards, and even those with a lot of good reviews, like the one you linked, seem to have nasty and fairly common problems.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

When are you building cause intel ivy bridge is out in april id suggest waiting
Das Forscher
Admin

Post by Das Forscher »

I was planning on ordering in the next couple weeks, thinking of getting either a 2500k or 2700k. Would waiting be worth it? I really don't have any idea what ivy bridge will be offering over the current gen intel cpus. I've read it's a smaller die so I am guessing 6 or 8 core and less power draw? I don't really need multithreading power, this is just for gaming.
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Post by Magus »

What I HOPE stephen is trying to say is that the Sandy Bridge cores will be cheaper. The 2500k's kick ass dude. And they're easily and safely overclocked and kick even MORE ass. If you've got the cash for a better CPU go ahead, but like I said this processor just rapes.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

it will offer about 15% increase in performace, tdp ratings are suppose to be around in the 70w range meaning less power being used producing much less heat. the first batch will be just quad cores which is more then fine.

you wont really see a price drop in current chips maybe 20 bucks.

if i were you id wait if your not in desperate need of a new machine, also the new nvidia cards are suppose to be out next month.
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Performance of Ivy is going to be slightly better than Sandy Bridge, but not massively. The integrated GPU is 60% more powerful, but you won't be using that so who cares. As Stephen said, the power draw is insanely lower for Ivy Bridge versus Sandy Bridge (77W versus 95W for the i7's). Price point will be similar if not the same as Sandy Bridge is.

Nvidia's new GPUs are due out the same time as Sandy Bridge, yup. Beginning of April (I keep hearing the 8th) for release to public.

Ivy Bridge is not slated to have 6 or 8 cores, at least not until Ivy Bridge-E (which is the extremist line like the Sandy Bridge 3970K, and still only a rumor as to whether it will even exist). Just dual and quads, which blow AMD's hex cores out of the water anyway. And if they are anything like Sandy in terms of overclocking potential, watch out, because as Magus said, the 2500K and 2600/2700K's overclock like mad.

I don't expect much of a price drop for Sandy Bridge.

Ivy Bridge is a new manufacturing method, so there is the whole you-are-using-first-gen-parts thing to consider.

tl;dr: might be worth waiting until the launch, totally up to you. The biggest deal for desktop users is the reduction in power draw (which is also huge for mobile users, but for them the iGPU increase is also big).
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

I don't know what you are using now, but I can almost guarantee you that you would not notice the performance increase between a current generation Sandy Bridge and the next generation Ivy Bridge unless you are doing something work related. Unless Ivy bridge brings prices down, my suggestion would be wait until the i5-2500k goes on sale for $150 and pick that up. Spend more on the other components, especially the SSD & Video card :)
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

well sources say ivy bridge was delayed due to the economy.

release date is now june.

so 2500k is your best bet
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Manufacturing ramp-up problems with new manufacturing method =/= economy....