Processor Panic!

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Murbuto
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]MÚŔßÚŤŐ
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:19720257

Processor Panic!

Post by Murbuto »

So I finally bought all my computer parts, and I'm ready to start building. Step one, plug the cpu into the mobo. Ok, so I read about a thousand warnings about static ruining cpus so I make sure I ground myself by touching a copper pipe every time I do anything. I carefully pick out my expensive-ass processor that had a strict "ONE PER HOUSEHOLD" policy. I place it in the mobo in a fashion similar to doc Brown placing plutonium in the Delorean. "Phew, good thing that's over"

I get my heatsink and try my best to read the shitty multi-language instructions that came with it. After I learn how to say "Place heatsink on processor as shown" in Afrikaans I make my attempt. I place the heatsink over it firmly, making sure the thermal paste cube attaches, and latch one side of the clip. I press down on the other side and.... no dice. No matter how hard I press (Within reason) the clip just doesn't go far enough. I try jiggling it loose, tryng one side before the other, nothing. Eventually I read online that it's safe to just foce it on with all your might. Fine, my mobo said it was "Military strength parts" so what could happen? I press down as hard as possible and FINALLY the thing latches. There was a lever to tighten it, but why bother?

Everything else goes smoothly and it takes a few hours to get everything exactly as I wanted it. Finally the moment of truth comes. Time to turn on the power and check my BIOS. I switch on the PSU and press the tower's power button aaaannndddd..... Nothing.

Well, not quite nothing. My mobo has 5 error lights that correspond to different hardware that could have issues. I look inside and see a bright red LED right next to the "CPU_ERROR" sign. Oh joy. I look online at different sites to trouble shoot. Some say to jump my BIOS, some say to reset my CMOS battery, some say to use the MemOK! button. All seemed pretty stupid. Finally I see a site that has a troubleshoot list. The final step on the list was "Make sure your ATX12V plug is securely attached" "Wait.... what ATX12v plug?" I take a look inside and there it is. An empty ATX12V socket sitting all lonely. I forgot to plug in my CPU. "Well, shit." I plug in the cable and try booting again and everything went fine. BIOS loaded, and now I'm writing this on my new computer.

TL;DR: Always check to make sure you didn't forget a cable. It could be really important. Also, I'm a moron.
My code works 60% of the time, every time.
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Re: Processor Panic!

Post by Molimo »

Haha, I was reading through this and at the part were you power it on and....Nothing. I was thinking, (He forgot his ATX12V Power Cable for the CPU).

Happened to me a few times when switching power supplies and Heatsinks as well.

Good job, Enjoy!!
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Had a similar moment on my first build: I forgot to plug the 6-pin PCI-e cable into the GPU and so I was getting infinite reboot loops. Felt like an idiot afterwards :D
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

lulzz
Marcus
Donor
Ingame Name: [ATG] Marcus
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:11563238

Post by Marcus »

I've had those moments, lol, I plug a cable or wire in and it wasn't seated in correctly so no plus some minutes of panic...
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Then there's what a friend of mine did to his HP box several years back...he got a new PSU because he got a new GPU, and the old PSU wasn't big enough. Apparently his case had an extra daughter board in the front of the case that served his USB ports and it had a connector that actually FIT an FDD power connector, so he figured it had to be plugged in. Do I need to tell what happened next?

Okay, a big capacitor on that board exploded, haha. The white innards went all over :P

TL;DR: Plugging too many things in can be a problem :D
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

you mean wrong voltage or polarity
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Stephen wrote:you mean wrong voltage or polarity
No, as in it wasn't supposed to have a power cable hooked up to it at all :D He remembered after the fact that there never was anything plugged into it. I never saw it, but my guess is it might have been an internal USB port type of thing or similar.
Murbuto
Manager

Post by Murbuto »

SandvichSpy wrote:Where are the pics of the shiny new toy at?
Attachments
100_0528.JPG
100_0527.JPG
100_0526.JPG
PRETENDICA
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] PRETENDICA
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:17130959

Post by PRETENDICA »

What, no pictures of the awesome cabling on the inside?
Image <---Thanks, Tahko!
Murbuto
Manager

Post by Murbuto »

Dat 3 yr old GPU and stock cooler. Pure sexy.
Attachments
100_0529.JPG
100_0530.JPG
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

your psu is upside down
Murbuto
Manager

Post by Murbuto »

Oh shit. You might be right.
Murbuto wrote: Also, I'm a moron.
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Stephen wrote:your psu is upside down
HAHA I Lol'ed. Yeah it's upside down.
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579