Networked Music Streamer

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Networked Music Streamer

Post by madmattd »

I'm trying to find a network music streamer. There are a number I am finding (lots that are no longer made...), and I'm wondering if I missed some.

What I need feature-wise:
wireless or wired networking (don't care which)
analog outputs (2-wire audio output)
simple user interface that WORKS
easy serving software

I do not need built-in speakers, touch screens, fancy colors, etc.

Basically, where this will be used there is a pre-existing stereo system with speakers, amp, etc. There is currently a 200 (or maybe its 300) CD changer hooked into the system which works great. I want to be able to stream from a networked folder into the system as well to use the speakers throughout the room. Hence why I don't care about built-in speakers. If it has them fine, but don't need them.

I'd prefer something in the sub-$200 range. So far I've seen the Logitech Squeezebox Touch for $240 on Amazon which looks to be more than needed, but has the important stuff. I've also found stuff from Philips, but the interesting ones are no longer made. Likewise with other brands.

Anyone have some recommendations?
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Re: Networked Music Streamer

Post by Stephen »

no consoles?

but i hear the dlink boxee is good
its got a modified version of xmbc which is by far the best media streaming program ive ever used
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

No this is not in a home, there is no tv, and thus a bunch of other things like that are out.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Marcus
Donor
Ingame Name: [ATG] Marcus
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:11563238

Post by Marcus »

I personally use Squeezebox from Logitech. The server software can stream too, so you can hookup your computer with winamp to listen to your music and use a web browser to control what you want to hear. You can stream over the internet if you forward your ports. I have the Duet (which they don't make anymore) which is hooked up to a mini sound system, it works great. Very easy to setup, install the server software (available for free) scan your music folder, hookup the player and you are ready to go. The interface is like the iPod classic, select something and it will followup with another menu.

You can also check out sonos, they make some wifi/network home music products, but I've never tried them.

I always wondered why these products never became very popular, I think it's a great way to play music in your living room without going through 200 CDs to find what you want to hear.
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

I agree Marcus, they seem like such a nice little thing to have. The person I am getting this for has the stereo system all set up in their workroom. There is also a server (on 24/7) and a couple of desktops there, one of which is on whenever this person is there. I've been thinking for over a year now how nice it would be to get all of the digital audio files, a decent chunk of which are not rips from the CDs in the CD changer, piped into the stereo from the one desktop. We could use the desktop or the server, that's not an issue I need help with. The stereo is on usually all day playing CDs. This person also likes a few internet radio stations (currently listens to them at home through iphone apps), so the fact that most of these devices can stream those is awesome.

I went down to Microcenter today, since they showed on their site that they had several of these in stock and I wanted to play with them a little, especially the Squeezebox Touch and the Grace Digital Radio Tuner. Well, they had ONE kind on the shelves, not either of those (though it was a Grace) and not such that I could play with it. BestBuy was the next stop and had a surprisingly decent selection, including the one I saw at MC and one similar to the Grace I was eyeing. Confirmed that the interface on the Grace is a bit dated, though functional enough. They also had the Sonos series which looked very nice, but those are way more money.

Unless I hear/find something else, I might have to bite the bullet on the Squeezebox Touch, it has all I am looking for (plus some). It's just a decent bit more than I wanted to spend, even with Amazon having it way cheaper than elsewhere.

Marcus, thanks for the first-hand report on the Squeezebox series, and in particular the report on ease-of-use.
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Anyone used an Orb (http://www.orb.com/en/music/streaming-music) before? Looks interesting but wondering about interface usage.
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Ended up getting the Squeezebox Touch. I VPN'd into the network, added a new shared folder on the server there for the music, installed the server software. No problems having it use the shared folder, and adding stuff to the shared folder over the network was cake. Once the Squeezebox was on the network, it found the server fine and was working great as of when I got off the phone Monday (my mom). If it had started having issues since, I'd have heard about it, lol.

Thanks guys.