Building my first Tower

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Mullet
Donor

Re: Building my first Tower

Post by Mullet »

Bottom line buying hardware is always a good thing no matter what you get.
Armisael
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Armisael
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:22616673

Post by Armisael »

Also, be sure to throw plenty of RAM in there for your idle account farm. I'm using at least 4.5GB on my accounts right now, and I'm not even idling my main.
Armisael
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Armisael
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:22616673

Post by Armisael »

Well, sandy bridge E is out.

And, uh, that's a lot of money. You could almost buy 3 2500K or FX-8150s for the cost of a 3930k (and that's the cheap one)!

So my advice remains basically the same (tempered by Stephen's points).
1. Figure out what sort of stuff you do most often. Will you benefit more from more cores or from faster cores? This depends on what you do with your computer. I imagine that someone on these forums will be able to help you figure that out.
2. Look for deals on bulldozer and sandy bridge.
3. Figure out how to use Grillz's employee discount.

Then you pick the rest of your parts, and that's just a matter of endless searching through the various combo deals and email deal on newegg. Unless you get a really crappy one, a power supply is a power supply.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Sandy Bridge E was not intended to be generic consumer-level. It's basically the extreme CPUs which are always way overpriced. They are basically replacing the 980x, 990x with these new chips. Think LGA 1366 from 2008/09. Sandy/Ivy are more like LGA 1156 was. But they still aren't worth the price, that's for sure. A 2600K beats out a 980x in 90% of usage scenarios at < 1/3 the price...

Either go Sandy Bridge or wait for Ivy Bridge. Bulldozer could be an option, but they don't stack up all that favorably to even Sandy Bridge so unless you get a great price on one, don't bother.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica