Building my first Tower

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Building my first Tower

Post by Magus »

Well it's time for me to finally make this post.

I want to start off by saying TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED THAT YOU THINK I WILL KNOW.

I figure now that I'm in my second year of schooling, it's about time I buy all my own parts, and build my own tower.

Now to start off: I already have my own monitor *a 21 inch, 1080p ready*, and my own peripherals *mouse, keyboard, 3 part speaker system, headset*. I need EVERYTHING else, including the case.

My budget: Between $900 and $1000.

I need your help, getting me every system component I will need and getting them to be COMPATIBLE.

I will also need help around the time of building figuring out exactly what I need to do as far as assembly/drivers go. It's a big project I know.

Anyway, I'm looking at purchasing in December and probably starting assembly right after I receive the goods.

Thanks for all the help in advance, I'm looking forward to this project!
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Re: Building my first Tower

Post by Newman »

What case do you have? That may or may not restrict the size of things like the mobo and gfx card.
<Stuff and Nonsense />
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

/facepalm

I need to buy a case.
I need EVERYTHING else, including the case.
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

Magus wrote:/facepalm

I need to buy a case.
I need EVERYTHING else, including the case.
Yeah I read that as I have everything including the case.

fail indeed.
<Stuff and Nonsense />
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

if your purchasing in december theres no point in viewing products now lol

theres plenty of good guides you can find maximum pc mag does alot of good ones.

ill be building a new rig around november after the release of sandbridge extreme and ill also be taking pictures of full assembely this time

but ill be ordering case and psu in the next couple weeks and get my buddy to paint the case while i start sleeving the cables.

still cant decide on the colour scheme though white/red or black/orange

doing some mock ups on photoshop.
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

Stephen, what's your budget look like? *not to get to personal*

Reason I ask is I think you're right about not viewing products yet *maybe with the exception of PSU and case*, but I think if our budgets are around the same I may mach your build.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

i dont put budgets on mine lol

but i can put parts list together when the time comes, best to do it when the time comes.

espically right now new cpus and gpus on the way
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

New CPUs and GPUs are great, but since I have budget on mine, there's only so much I can do.

I should also point out that I don't want to go Crossfire route. Solo card for me.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

but when new stuff comes out older stuff usually drops in price
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

Very true. Alright.... well. I'll probably just revisit this topic around mid-November if you can stay posted. Because at that point I'll have a few weeks to get a compatible build I'll like.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Case/PSU are definitely something you could look at now, especially since those don't change as fast as CPU/GPU and it also spreads out the expenses (which may be a factor for you). Any case that you like should work, I'd suggest at least a mid-tower or a full tower (full tower are MASSIVE however). Make sure it is an ATX case, that is by far the standard.

And if Stephen is looking at an extreme CPU, his build won't be in your price range. The extreme CPUs right now are $500-$1000 themselves...and not really worth it (I have an i7-980x at work, it's nice, but not worth 1k. Half that maybe.)

If building today, I'd be looking at an i7-2600K CPU, 560TI GPU. But there are likely new GPUs coming any day now, it's been since like March since we saw new mainstream cards.

For compatibility, get an ATX-form-factor motherboard (99% are ATX of some form, a regular ATX is best imo, not a micro-ATX). ATX power supply (again most are ATX). The CPU and mobo also have to have the same socket type (ie AM3+ and AM3+ or LGA1155 and LGA1155). Memory also has to be supported by the mobo, this is usually the trickiest as some boards are picky. But generally you need to match DDR types (get DDR3, DDR and DDR2 are very outdated, you likely won't get something newish with them anyway). Most times any memory of the same type and one of the speeds supported by your mobo will work fine.

Assembly is easy. Install PSU in case. Install CPU/Heatsink and RAM on mobo, then put mobo in case. Install GPU. Install HDD(s) and ODD(s). Hook up all power and data cables (use mobo manual to determine where the case headers go, though often this is labeled well on the board). Don't forget the 8-pin aux power header on the mobo near the CPU. Power on. Profit?!
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

hahah thanks matt.

Like I said, I'll revisit this closer into November and you all can help me pick every part specifically on my budget!!!

I'm thinking about buying the case/PSU in the next few weeks tho. ATX case you say? And a 500w psu should do, right?
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

no go atleast 600-700w.

do not cheap on your psu EVER
Magus
Manager

Post by Magus »

OKAY SEXY STEPHEN
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Yeah PSU dont cheap out on it. I've seen them fry a mobo and CPU for simple reasons.

When Intels new Processor comes out the prices wont vary much. Since it's a Higher End Model, Current 1155 Socket will still be in production. Think of this as Honda Releases their newer CIVIC Model, When the Newer Accord comes out, The Civics doesn't drop in price. (If it does, your looking at 10-20$ maybe)

Also one other thing, For your Price Range I would get the 2500K. its 200$ (Online) 66% the price of the 2600K (300$), and the performance is practically similar. (Alot of people will tell you the same thing). With a budget Build, that 100$ could go a long way, especially for a gaming build where Video Card is more important than the CPU.

Also Intel Mentioned that the 1155 Socket (which the 2500K and 2600K are) Will also support the upcoming Ivy Bridge Processors coming out in March Next Year.

I know you'll be waiting till November but this is just a Heads up.