I need help upgrading my PC

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Re: I need help upgrading my PC

Post by madmattd »

You don't need a mATX case, a mid-tower regular ATX will take an mATX board just fine and give you flexibility in the future. You don't want to be limited by your case, plus mATX cases have crap airflow usually.

MicroCenter always seems to have the Antec 300 on sale for like $40-$50 and it's a good case at that price. Other good ones too, the nice thing there is at least at the Boston one most of the cases have a floor model you can take apart and look around before buying. I imagine the other stores are the same deal.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Hell_Rell
Heavy
Ingame Name: Hell Rell

Post by Hell_Rell »

madmattd wrote:You don't need a mATX case, a mid-tower regular ATX will take an mATX board just fine and give you flexibility in the future. You don't want to be limited by your case, plus mATX cases have crap airflow usually.

MicroCenter always seems to have the Antec 300 on sale for like $40-$50 and it's a good case at that price. Other good ones too, the nice thing there is at least at the Boston one most of the cases have a floor model you can take apart and look around before buying. I imagine the other stores are the same deal.
Oh awesome thanks, i didnt know that ive never been to a Microcenter until i go tomorrow. Ill see if i can post some pics while im at store. But as long as i can fit my stuff in a regular case ill see what i can do. With cases should i just look for one with the most fans lol?
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Yup, no worries with mATX in a regular ATX case. You just won't need all of the motherboard standoffs since the board will be shorter by a couple inches.

As to cases, you want something that doesn't look/feel cheap. Fans are good, but if they are crap fans they're useless (can be replaced normally at least). Antec makes decent stuff, I like the 300 as a plain no-nonsense case. Cooler Master, Corsair, Seasonic, they all are usually solid too. Really it comes down to what you like and seems reasonable in quality. Getting to see them out of a box in the store is nice (granted they are often VERY beat up in the store...).

Cable management spots are useful if you have a lot of extra PSU cables. And something that at least has good clear airflow is good. 120mm+ fan spots are a must, 80mm fans don't do anything unless they spin at insane speeds, thus they are very noisy!
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Hell_Rell
Heavy

Post by Hell_Rell »

Thanks in advance man, thank you all for the help. This whole process has really helped my knowledge of parts and how to create a new rig.
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Indeed, it seems daunting at first, but once you've done it once, it's a piece of cake. Good luck and enjoy!
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

madmattd = helper of the month award!!!!!!!11!!!1!one
Hell_Rell
Heavy

Post by Hell_Rell »

Mullet wrote:madmattd = helper of the month award!!!!!!!11!!!1!one
If you only saw how much i msgd Computah every morning lol, hes been a grea help as well!
Hell_Rell
Heavy

Post by Hell_Rell »

I built the pc, hoping i did evrything right. I went to boot it up and the fans spin for a second and then turn right off, friend said reset cmos and i did but same thing. I took out ram and card and still same thing. Friend said it could be power supply, i have a 500w, should i get a 650?
Dan(omite)
Donor
Ingame Name: Dan(omite)
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:16930891

Post by Dan(omite) »

I know it sounds silly, but check all your front panel connectors. Ive mixed those up before and it creates problems with booting. Your psu should be fine... a 500 isnt the most powerful thing but it should be enough to let it boot
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Make sure you connected the Power connector to you CPU (it's either a 4 or 8 Pin Connector).
Hell_Rell
Heavy

Post by Hell_Rell »

Its alive!

The mobo as d.o.a, i talked to a cousin who told me he was 100% i was the mobo not th psu. I rushed to microcenter, bought a new one, reconnected everything and she came to life! Gotta mail old one back to Neweg, luckily mobo was same price.

Installing Win7 now and hoping it all works. Thanks to everyone for the help, it was quite the learning experience but im glad i got it done.
Attachments
IMG_20111022_192134.jpg
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

good job dude!!!!!!!!!
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Congrats!!
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Congrats Hell Rell, enjoy it!