CPU not powering

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Tahko
Admin
Ingame Name: ᴅɢz! Hartmann
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:20888205

CPU not powering

Post by Tahko »

I need some assistance.

I'm moving soon so I don't have internet right now, I'm stealing a neighbor's net with a laptop lol

Earlier, I tried fixing my wireless pci card because my computer wasn't reading it. So, I turn off my computer completely and put it in. My computer turns on, but the card still isn't working. I switch it to the pci slot above and turn my computer on again, however this time my monitor won't show the booting screen or logon screen. It's as if the gpu is messed up. I had my speakers still going and I heard the logon sound so I know it loaded windows.

My computers normal start up routine: My cpu fan starts up, my ram starts flashing(LED), my cpu fan turns off for a second then starts back up and my monitor usually displays the motherboard bios screen then boots in.

My motherboard, Asus M2N-SLI, does not have a VGA slot so I couldn't just forget about my gpu. I took out my asus mobo and installed my old foxconn but that didn't work. so I put back in my asus, I press the power button and my the psu fan spins once and my RAM's LED flickers once but nothing happens afterwards. My mobo is recieving power from my PSU, I can see the LED lit up so I doubt that's the reason. I've Googled my problem but it seems to be very unique, none of the trouble shooting on the other sites mention this.
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Re: CPU not powering

Post by Stephen »

possible bad psu

got another one you can test or borrow
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

Stephen wrote:possible bad psu

got another one you can test or borrow
Or possibly not enough juice?

Can you list all components you have in this PC that draw power? Also make & model of PSU.
Tahko
Admin

Post by Tahko »

Yeah, I have 3 PSUs but I dont think I'm able to use one of them since it doesn't have any SATA cords to power my hdds. in a moment i'm going to test my cpu, gpu and ram on another computer. i'll test the psu afterwards.

hooked up to my psu, i have an asus m2n-sli mobo. (not deluxe) evga gts 250 gpu. two hdds both are most likely western digital and i have two fans not sure what size, but theyre kind of small. oh and my cd drive. hooked up to the mobo is 2gigs of crucial tracer ram and a linksys wireless network card
The PSU i have been using is an apevia java with 500w and it's set on the right voltage.

sorry, if this is all gibberish but the net i'm working with has a bad connection so i'm rushing this post.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

and you gotta watch with some lower end psu companies they will advertise peak wattage and not rms wattage.

so if you had a 500w peak it would be about a 450 rms, they can only run at peak wattage for so long
Tahko
Admin

Post by Tahko »

Not sure if I did all of it right and since I didn't know how many hertz my cpu has, I chose the highest to be safe. It came out to be 268w minimum and 318w recommended.

Anyways, I tested some hardware and the problem isn't my RAM or GPU so those are out. I don't think it's the PSU, but it could be. I tried another PSU and the same problem occured. It's either the PSU (which I'm hoping not) the motherboard or my CPU (since I sort of bent one of the pins and had to bend it back - but switching to my old single core doesn't change anything).

What sucks most is if it IS the PSU then I can't just use one of my other two. One doesn't support my HDD and the other doesn't have the 6-pin connector for my gpu.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

You should be fine on SPU power unless it crapped out. I recently borrowed a kill-a-watt from work and have been running my desktop off of it, I've yet to draw over 330W, and the PSU is only ~85% efficient. I'm running more power-hungry stuff than you, so I doubt you pull over 300W.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Tahko
Admin

Post by Tahko »

Wow... okay, so I kept playing around and swapping out hardware I eventually got tired of working INSIDE the case/tower so I started hooking up the minimum requirements with the motherboard outside of the case, my first test ran perfectly normal.... I think I just had tightened the screws a little too tight. I'm a little scared to put the mobo back inside the case now.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

to tight on the cpu or the mobo,

because you can warp boards doing it
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

I had that happen with a build too. Put it all together in the case, had some decent wire routing (some under the board as there was room-front panel stuff). Hit the power button, notta. Kept rebooting, refused to post. Thinking I'm staring an RMA in the face, I decided to put the bare minimum together outside the case (with PSU still in case of course) and it posted. Kept adding things back, kept posting, ended up with it all hooked up and working. Put it back in the case, running ever since. Probably overtightened something as Stephen suggests.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

ive curved a board before with micro atx was easily noticeable with it
Tahko
Admin

Post by Tahko »

Yeah, it happened when I first got my tower and mobo. I didn't think I'd run into this problem again. Everything except my external hard drive is running fine but I think someone might have dropped my ehdd when I wasn't looking. One second it's playing Harry Potter in the living room and the next it's not being recognized on any of my computers/laptops. I regret leaving anything in my sisters' care. It runs normally, I hear it spinning and the LED is on but it just isn't being recognized.
Stephen
Founder

Post by Stephen »

only solution is dropping it again lol j.k
Tahko
Admin

Post by Tahko »

lol the hard drive is fine I took it out of the casing it's just the usb part of the chip that isnt working, i don't know. but it doesn't matter, i'll just have to buy a new casing for it.