Buying RAM

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Re: Buying RAM

Post by Molimo »

You have 6 Dimm slots on your Mobo, are you looking for 12Gb in total? and If so are you replacing your A-DATA RAM?

These are my considerations:

Entry Level Performance Ram, Not the Best but very good Ram nonetheless.
9-9-9-24 and 1600Mhz

1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820233146 @ 89.99$
2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231358 @ 99.99$
The G.Skill does state that it is Compatible with X58 Chipsets. But I'm sure Corsair should be aswell.

If your looking for Lower Latency Ram,
7-8-7-24 and 1600Mhz

3) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231457 @ 199.99$
Also states that it is compatible with X58 Chipsets.

I would personally go with #2, I've built 3 PCs in the last month with G.Skill Ripjaws and never had any issues. I always look for Lower Latency but for double the price, I wouldn't recommend #3. Also #1 is a very good choice, Corsair is a Very Solid company.
PRETENDICA
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] PRETENDICA
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:17130959

Post by PRETENDICA »

I love Corsair too.
Image <---Thanks, Tahko!
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

G-skil FTW!
PRETENDICA
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] PRETENDICA
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:17130959

Post by PRETENDICA »

So, the lower the latency, the better? How low can it go?
Image <---Thanks, Tahko!
Murbuto
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]MÚŔßÚŤŐ
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:19720257

Post by Murbuto »

How does I download moar ram??
My code works 60% of the time, every time.
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

the higher the mhz the less the timings going to be but it still equals out because its running alot faster.

like ddr2 800mhz runs around timings of 5-5-5-12

ddr3 1600mhz runs aroun 9-9-9-28 the ram i have runs at 7-7-7-21

but you will pay the price for better timing
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

Although lower latency does result in faster RAM I don't think the amount you pay for it is worth it for the speed increase or latency decrease. You will only get about a boost of 1-3% by having better latency or higher speed on the RAM. I also think 6GB is enough for most moderate computer users unless you are doing lots of file compression, CAD design, or video/image editing.

If you do want to upgrade I suggest the following. Subscribe to the NewEgg newsletter. Every week they send out coupons and just about every week there are deals for RAM. This week there was some Gskill and other RAM I can't remember on sale for $35 after rebate (2x4GB sticks).

Also look at this site: http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
That's where I go to build my PC's.
I just built a system using slickdeals with phenom 840, msi mATX mobo, 2x4GB DDR1333 RAM, DVD-RW Drive, HAF912 case, Corsair Builder Series 430W PSU for less then $150 after Tax, shipping & rebates using slickdeals. Still need a halfway decent video card and I will have my first HTPC setup :D
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

i highly doubt your using 6gb of ram

gskillz runs a little hot but still nice ram
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

SandvichSpy wrote:I do probably need 12gb, since I do alot of stuff in Source SDK, AutoCAD, Inventor, Solid Edge, etc. Especially for inventor when I try to make something out of a lot of pieces and the program crashes from not having enough memory :\

As for Molimo's suggestions, those 100$ set of ripjaws look nice. That 200$ set is way out of the ballpark for me though.
Holy fucking shit, someone else in the USA who knows and uses SolidEdge besides me? What you using that program for? It's a piece of shit compared to SolidWorks. Only place SolidEdge is really used is in Europe.

Next time I see a deal on slickdeals for some RAM I'll post it. You shouldn't be paying more then $60 for 3 sticks after rebate.
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

SandvichSpy wrote: Lol I used it in high school and I was given a free copy from my teacher to use (mind you this was before we got Inventor, like 2 years before)
Do yourself a favor and pirate yourself a copy of SolidWorks. They work off the same engine so the look & feel are almost identical however SolidWorks is 10x stronger then SolidEdge. The only thing that SolidEdge does better is sheet metal parts but SolidWorks has the edge in US Market share, Finite Element Analysis, part making, and basically everything else.
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

SandvichSpy wrote: Lol I used it in high school and I was given a free copy from my teacher to use (mind you this was before we got Inventor, like 2 years before)
Do yourself a favor and pirate yourself a copy of SolidWorks. They work off the same engine so the look & feel are almost identical however SolidWorks is 10x stronger then SolidEdge. The only thing that SolidEdge does better is sheet metal parts but SolidWorks has the edge in US Market share, Finite Element Analysis, part making, and basically everything else. I also hate how SolidEdge makes you confirm every single step you are doing multiple times. SolidWorks is just so much more intuitive and it assumes you know what you are doing.

I also hate how SolidEdge makes you confirm every single step you are doing multiple times. SolidWorks is just so much more intuitive and it assumes you know what you are doing.