Buying SSD

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
ATG Aaron
Manager
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Buying SSD

Post by ATG Aaron »

newegg has this one on sale... its the size i have been looking at .. thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 27551-L01C
hulkvsspawn
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]hulkvsspawn
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17449644

Re: Buying SSD

Post by hulkvsspawn »

These are the one's I have but smaller. It's a great drive in my book. I think you'll get some differences of opinions here but for the price, that's a steal.
"insert 2 capsules into vagina" <-- Mala
"centuries" <-- My dipshit brother
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

I cry every time I see a price drop on a SSD... I think I paid $500 for my 240 GB Vertex 2 :(
<Stuff and Nonsense />
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

I have a strong aversion to OCZ after how they've treated me and with the countless Sandforce issues. All OCZ drives use these Sandforce controllers. Now, the Vertex 2 controller was better than the Vertex 3s in terms of reliability, but the Vertex 2 series had and still has a nasty habit of dying 2-3 months in. It's a roll of the die. If it works, it is a pretty decent drive, OCZ just has a bad reliability track record and their support is among the worst in the industry.

Check the reviews. They are mostly 5-star or 1-star. The 1-star are going to be mostly those where it died early and hard. This is the story with OCZ. They price them cheap for SSD's, unfortunately they just aren't the best drives. I lucked out with mine and it still works fine, but I know too many people that have had failed drives, and read about way too many more.

My 2 cents' worth, I know there are those here who swear by OCZ. They are certainly fast. If you get the non-brick drives from them, then sure, I can see the good opinions. 20% failure rate though is a concern. Speed is great, I prefer my expensive toys keep working without me worrying about them.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica