PRE"s next Build

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
hulkvsspawn
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]hulkvsspawn
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17449644

Re: PRE"s next Build

Post by hulkvsspawn »

Man Matt I've had a completely different experience with OCZ. I've been buying their memory for years. When they started making SSD's, I was an early adopter. I've never dealt with their forum support, other than to look something up like a guide. I just call them up. They're based out of California or at least their tech support was the last time a talked to them. I literally dialed the number, it rang twice and I was speaking to an English speaking person with no Indian accent (that was for you Bill). I tell them my issue and they send me a new drive. I think I had to replace 2 of my drives using that method. I'd also like to point out that I thought I broke my own drives and OCZ had nothing to do with it. I used the raid utility to erase the raid array. Broke a drive both times. I don't do that anymore.
"insert 2 capsules into vagina" <-- Mala
"centuries" <-- My dipshit brother
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Well you must have found the one decent person, glad to hear it Hulk. Because I called them up too and got an Indian accent on the other line (now, having worked for an Indian boss for 2+ years a while back, the accent doesn't bother me too much usually), and the person was very insulting. He about called me a moron, so I hung up.

I'm going to try to dig up some of the written correspondence from them where they flat out said my motherboard must be broken because it didn't work with their drive. Just every other drive it's EVER SEEN.

I've used their memory before, in fact some of it is still active to this day in my mother's work computer, no problems there. OCZ power supply in her server too IIRC.

I've been watching Sandforce this year though, and I am dismayed by what I see. They honestly could be a great thing for the industry, competing against Marvell and Intel controllers (although Intel is using Marvell in the 510), and competiton usually lowers prices while raising performance. Sandforce just isn't showing themselves to be a company willing to admit to problems and spend the time to fix them. OCZ decided to go with Sandforce and so is stuck with many of the problems.

I will honestly say that most of the blame lies with Sandforce. OCZ could handle the situation better than they are, but the heart of the matter lies with Sandforce and I think that OCZ is possibly just tired of hearing all the same issues that aren't completely their fault. The fact that some manufacturers using the same controllers have been able to at least somewhat eliminate some of the issues with the new drives suggests that OCZ isn't putting a full effort in however. It's just a huge mess I advise staying away from, but I know others have had different experiences. The Vertex 2 line was a line where either the drive worked, or it crapped out randomly 1-3 months in. Past that point, they seem to last fine. I'm not talking weird operator-messing-with-it stuff like Hulk did :D

/off soapbox now
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

Those of you with SSD's, I would be really curious if you ran CrystalDiskMark on your SSD's and posted your results. These are the results from my harddrives:

The program is free to download and you can get it at: http://crystalmark.info/software/Crysta ... dex-e.html
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Sure Computah, I ran the Intel 320 120GB at work, solid results for a straight SATA 2 drive:
Intel 320 120GB.PNG
Rated is 270MB/s Read, 130MB/s Write sequential. Nailed it. I'll run my M4 and maybe the Vertex 2 tonight and update.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

vertex 3 120 gb max iops
PRETENDICA
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] PRETENDICA
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:17130959

Post by PRETENDICA »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 210.030 MB/s
Sequential Write : 210.600 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 162.785 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 51.392 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 28.295 MB/s [ 6908.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 5.831 MB/s [ 1423.6 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 69.458 MB/s [ 16957.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 6.637 MB/s [ 1620.4 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 53.2% (31.7/59.5 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2011/08/23 14:08:42
OS : Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

That's the vertex turbo 2 (i just used the copy thing)

Edit: I didn't answer Computah's question... I have a AMD Phenom X4 970.
Image <---Thanks, Tahko!
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

Mine is slow.
PRETENDICA
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] PRETENDICA
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:17130959

Post by PRETENDICA »

I noticed that they have a WD Black 1 Tb for sale also. Is there any diffeference between the sata II and sata III drives? I know that makes a difference with the ssds, but does it matter for hdds??
Image <---Thanks, Tahko!
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

PRETENDICA wrote:I noticed that they have a WD Black 1 Tb for sale also. Is there any diffeference between the sata II and sata III drives? I know that makes a difference with the ssds, but does it matter for hdds??
For HDDS, not really. There are apparently some small gains, but spinners can't even come close to capping SATA 2. Mostly a marketing gimmick.

O, and here's my hilariously abused Vertex 2. I've noticed it misbehaving of late, but these results crack me up! (Note, normal sequentials should be 285/275 MB/s)
Vertex 2 9 months use.PNG
hulkvsspawn
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]hulkvsspawn
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17449644

Post by hulkvsspawn »

Man, I gotta tweak again. This should be faster. 6X30GB Vertex II in raid 0
"insert 2 capsules into vagina" <-- Mala
"centuries" <-- My dipshit brother
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Last but not least, my Crucial M4 256GB in my laptop. It's 4k randoms have always been low, especially on the write side where it is about 50% of what it should, but I haven't bothered to correct this, it's probably something dumb I did. Still great results and a great drive.
M4 CDM.PNG
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

I think someone may be wrong with my Vertex 2...

240gb vertex 2
1.jpg
1tb wd black
2.jpg
<Stuff and Nonsense />
madmattd
Admin

Post by madmattd »

Yea Newman, I'd say you need a secure erase and reinstall. Another annoying thing about those Sandforce drives is how they slow down dramatically over time as they get loaded and written to...
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

Stephen told me to enable AHCI, and its looking almost exactly like your Vertex 2. WHY DON"T THINGS JUST WORK!
<Stuff and Nonsense />
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

Well going back to Pre's original question we know you have:
AMD/ATI 6970
OCZ Vertex Turbo 2
AMD Phenom X4 970

Based on those things you listed above I really don't see the need for you to upgrade. If anything wait until AMD releases Bulldozer and only upgrade mobo & RAM(if necessary). There are a few mobos out there that can run your current processor and are equipped for Bulldozer as well.

Your SSD you have right now is more then decent. I would wait 6 months to a year for OCZ to straighten themselves out before investing in a newer SSD.