PRE"s next Build

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Mullet
Donor

Re: PRE"s next Build

Post by Mullet »

madmattd, did you get the 320 firmware update?
PRETENDICA
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] PRETENDICA
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:17130959

Post by PRETENDICA »

IM A COMPUTAH wrote:Well going back to Pre's original question we know you have:
AMD/ATI 6970
OCZ Vertex Turbo 2
AMD Phenom X4 970

Based on those things you listed above I really don't see the need for you to upgrade. If anything wait until AMD releases Bulldozer and only upgrade mobo & RAM(if necessary). There are a few mobos out there that can run your current processor and are equipped for Bulldozer as well.

Your SSD you have right now is more then decent. I would wait 6 months to a year for OCZ to straighten themselves out before investing in a newer SSD.
Thanks, COMP. I bought this MB already(that's what started this whole thing) Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3. It's AM3+ ready. My current mb doesn't do 6Gbps sata. And is a single pci-e. 2 things you should know about me; never done sli/crossfire and never done a raid. I bought 2 monitors today. I already have an Acer 23 in. I got 2 more.
Image <---Thanks, Tahko!
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Mullet wrote:madmattd, did you get the 320 firmware update?
No, need to do it though. It's the work comp after all...though most of it is backed up to a server vault system.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

PRETENDICA wrote: Thanks, COMP. I bought this MB already(that's what started this whole thing) Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3. It's AM3+ ready. My current mb doesn't do 6Gbps sata. And is a single pci-e. 2 things you should know about me; never done sli/crossfire and never done a raid. I bought 2 monitors today. I already have an Acer 23 in. I got 2 more.
Well I've never set up a RAID on an AMD build before but I can tell you how it works for an Intel build. I doubt there would be very much of a difference.
On an Intel setup you go to the BIOS and change the settings for the SATA ports from AHCI or IDE to RAID. You save & exit BIOS and when you reboot there will be a quick menu that only appears on screen for a second or two. This screen shows what drives are currently in RAID setup. I have to hit Control + I to enter the utility at this time and it allows me to setup a RAID there. There really isn't much to explain but the entire process takes less then 5 minutes.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Yea RAID really isn't that hard using the onboard controllers. Gigabyte uses Award BIOS, and the method Computah mentions is correct for them. Set the appropriate controller (Gigabyte often includes an additional controller, you are likely after the main controller) to RAID (XHD). I think that is what they are calling it now, or something like that. Then save and exit BIOS, and hit CTL+I when the prompt pops up on the screen that detects all connected drives. It's pretty clear from there, you create a volume, select drives if necessary, and just leave the default other settings alone (strip size and such).

RAID 1=mirroring, RAID 0=striping. RAID 0 is faster as you write to both drives at once (50-50 split), but no backup and if one drive goes, the whole array is toast. In RAID 1, drive 1 and drive 2 get the same data written, so if one craps, you can just swap out the bad drive for a new one and reboot. Array rebuilds, you lose no data. If you use more than 2 drives, you can do crazy things like RAID 5 and RAID 10 which kind of combine both 1 and 0 (well 10 literally does, but needs 4 drives).
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

Matt is to smart.
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

So whats your saying is I need a new mobo that has SATA 3, grab 4 high end like 200GB SSD and I'll be laughing my way to the poor house? I'll take it!
<Stuff and Nonsense />
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

I'm surprise Hulk isn't running Raid 5, I mean with 6x SSD the chances of having a failure is a bit High. With Raid 5 you get the safety of One drive failing. you can simply swap it out and continu on. You would be a little lower than 180Gb (Since each drive uses a few GB for parity bits). But atleast you would have the safety of Raid 1, and about 90% of the performance of Raid 0.

I mean OCZ has recorded 2.93% Failure of their SSDs(0.56% for Intel). If you have 6 drives. that would give you a 17.44% chance of one failing.

P.S. I couldn't believe that the 2TB Caviar Black had a 9.71% Failure Rate, That is HUGE.
PRETENDICA
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] PRETENDICA
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:17130959

Post by PRETENDICA »

I have until the end of the day to decide if I want the Image for 186.99(they sent me 15% off coupon) and $20 mail in card. That's a good deal, no? I know it snot Stephen's super MAX IOPS, but it's still in the 450 Read speed range. I'll add another one later and raid(if I get it).
Image <---Thanks, Tahko!
hulkvsspawn
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]hulkvsspawn
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17449644

Post by hulkvsspawn »

Molimo wrote:I'm surprise Hulk isn't running Raid 5, I mean with 6x SSD the chances of having a failure is a bit High. With Raid 5 you get the safety of One drive failing. you can simply swap it out and continu on. You would be a little lower than 180Gb (Since each drive uses a few GB for parity bits). But atleast you would have the safety of Raid 1, and about 90% of the performance of Raid 0.

I mean OCZ has recorded 2.93% Failure of their SSDs(0.56% for Intel). If you have 6 drives. that would give you a 17.44% chance of one failing.

P.S. I couldn't believe that the 2TB Caviar Black had a 9.71% Failure Rate, That is HUGE.
Or 0% chance if you kick ass. Thank You and You're Welcome.
I've taken my raid array apart, moved it to a mb with the same chipset, then not be surprised to see my system boot. Don't be afraid of raid 0 with SSD drives. Or any solid drive for that matter. I still have two 80 sata drives that have been moved around from MB to MB that are used in raid 0 for storage. I've only had to recreate the array once. Those drive are worth 5 bucks now so who gives a shit if they get ruined. I want to experiment. Granted, it's always AMD so I'm sure that helps I'm not switching between intel and amd chipset.
"insert 2 capsules into vagina" <-- Mala
"centuries" <-- My dipshit brother
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Hey Matt,

Free Performance Boost for your M4

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/crucia ... 13314.html