Need help limiting bandwidth

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy
Ingame Name: Light Of Darkness
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Need help limiting bandwidth

Post by Light Of Darkness »

My sister is the biggest bitch in the world and is constantly downloading shitty music off TPB/iTunes.
Hi there MASSIVE LAG, how have you been? I've seen a lot more of you lately, anything special going on?
Is there any way possible to limit my sister's bandwidth? While not limiting my own? On the same network?
Joe
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Joe
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:3883133

Re: Need help limiting bandwidth

Post by Joe »

QoS
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

Help me set up this QoS that you speak of
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

<Stuff and Nonsense />
hulkvsspawn
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]hulkvsspawn
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17449644

Post by hulkvsspawn »

Use google it's your friend. What type of router do you have? See if it has a Qos setting. If yes, then you can lookup what her Mac Address is and limit her connection.
"insert 2 capsules into vagina" <-- Mala
"centuries" <-- My dipshit brother
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Pretty much any router has this built in. I often threatened to do the same thing to my sister when she would constantly stream YouTube videos all evening (one's she'd already watched like 15 times too mind you!) when I wanted to play TF2. Plus the internet kinda stunk to begin with, I get 20-30ms less ping to our servers (pre-Linux reinstall mind you) despite having moved 350 miles FURTHER away...

When you go into the router setting pages there are access restrictions and QOS and all that. I'd recommend giving your computer a fixed IP in your network (especially if on ethernet connection), so as someone else doesn't get that boost if you have to reboot the router due to power outage or whatever.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

I can't seem to find the QoS settings page.
Router is an ISP issued 2wire 2701HG-G
I can't use MAC filtering because the computer she's using is also the one everyone else in my family (except me) uses :[

EDIT: after digging around a bit, it doesn't seem to have QoS :[
Also, is rebooting the router just turning it off then on again? If so my mom INSISTS that it be turned off EVERY SINGLE NIGHT
hulkvsspawn
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]hulkvsspawn
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17449644

Post by hulkvsspawn »

See if your ISP has a different model. Tell them it's packet loss and needs to be replaced. It's a known issue with that model.
"insert 2 capsules into vagina" <-- Mala
"centuries" <-- My dipshit brother
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Yes, rebooting is just a power cycle....and usually doing that causes IP addresses to be reissued. When they aren't turned off, the router will typically give the same IP to the same computer. Rebooting clears this "memory". They definitely DO NOT need to be turned off daily, its got to be a pain having to turn it back on every day...

Giving your computer a static/permanent IP would get around that issue. This can be done even with wireless, it can just cause some trouble if you take said device to a different network, in which case you configure the alternate IP settings info...not too hard, but I haven't done that since XP, I bet it's been moved somewhere obscure in Vista/7....

And QoS doesn't mean the other computer gets no bandwidth, just less, it prioritizes based on the settings you set.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Joe
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Joe
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:3883133

Post by Joe »

Some routers let you prioritize a certain port, so you could prioritize 27015 so when you are playing tf2 other people won't slow you down, but your downloading torrents or whatever won't slow everyone else down.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
Desseler
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Desseler
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23045696

Post by Desseler »

The 2701HG-D has QoS, but it is a bit weird.

For upstream, it has the port to QoS, so I can prioritize team fortress 2 easily upstream.

Downstream is different, it gives me the options of prioritizing either the "802.1p Priority Bit" or the "IP DSCP".

If anyone knows anything about this to help me out, that would be appreciated.
WELL DON'T THAT BEAT ALL.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

madmattd wrote:Yes, rebooting is just a power cycle....and usually doing that causes IP addresses to be reissued. When they aren't turned off, the router will typically give the same IP to the same computer. Rebooting clears this "memory". They definitely DO NOT need to be turned off daily, its got to be a pain having to turn it back on every day...

Giving your computer a static/permanent IP would get around that issue. This can be done even with wireless, it can just cause some trouble if you take said device to a different network, in which case you configure the alternate IP settings info...not too hard, but I haven't done that since XP, I bet it's been moved somewhere obscure in Vista/7....

And QoS doesn't mean the other computer gets no bandwidth, just less, it prioritizes based on the settings you set.
My mom: OMFG IF YOU LEAVE INTERNET ON FOR OVER A DAY BELL SUDDENLY CHARGES YOU INFINITY DOLLARS AND THEN 9001 HACKERS WILL GET OUR INTERNET
Anyway, getting a static IP seems easy enough (theres a page for my computer in my wireless network, I remember seeing IP options there) I'll take a few screens and post em up later.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

Attachments
QoS3.jpg
QoS2.jpg
QoS1.jpg
Light Of Darkness
Heavy