Network storage

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Network storage

Post by Newman »

NCIX's recent email blast had a thing about network storage and highlighted the Drobo (http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=drobo)

I'm wondering if anyone has or has delt with any sort of network storage and if you have any thoughts. $680 seems a bit extreme for a networked drive but what do I know.
<Stuff and Nonsense />
Marcus
Donor
Ingame Name: [ATG] Marcus
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:11563238

Re: Network storage

Post by Marcus »

I've never used a drobo before but I got an HP MediaSmart over a year ago, but it's not a pure network storage system. It is actually a server that serves as a network storage device with a few other options:

-takes backups of your windows computers
-can stream video for mobile devices (not very useful I think)
-can access pictures and files remotely though a webpage that the box hosts
-compatible with Twonkey Media PnP photo, music and video devices
-compatible with Squeezebox Sever and music players
-capable of expanding with 4 HD all RAID (not sure which one)
-some limited features for Mac OSX (backup and shared folders)

I don't personally use all of it but I use it to backup my computers and play my music and videos that I don't store directly on my computer.

You basically buy a computer that runs windows server 2003 just with a windows home server interface. You can also remote desktop it to install some stuff like I did. Paid ~800 CND with taxes included

I personally like the Windows Server 2003 base, b/c I can install other programs such as Mumble and TF2 dedicated server for my buddies to play.

I hope that this helps Newman
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

ive got a network box you can have, just need to put drives in it
i wont use it anymore
Godkills
Manager
Ingame Name: Godkills
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:37001

Post by Godkills »

Lacks useful protocols. I've seen the Synology devices and they are impressive for home/small office use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V8 ... PDKIKX0DER
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Personally I have a media box/htpc under my TV. I put a TV tuner/IR blaster in it so it is a decent DVR. I also set it up with some shared folders to serve as network storage, it's very easy to do in Windows XP/2003 and up. I also put a server in at my mom's business a few years back to handle her email, that has file shares as well, and gives the luxury of running a Vent/Mumble (been considering this for a while) or whatever. If you use a VPN such as Hamachi (that one is VERY easy to set up), you can access the shared folders from anywhere with a internet connection (say a hotel when you are on a trip?) without having to log-in through those clunky FTP interfaces or the like. You can also do Remote Desktop through Hamachi, much more secure than open RDP, and then you can remotely do whatever you need (I'm sure you are familiar with RDP :) )

In short, I wouldn't get a NAS box, especially for nearly $700 when you can build something far more flexible for less than that. Upgradeable too!
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... ro_II.html

this is the one i have ill sell u it for 200

has no drives

lol
Joe
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Joe
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:3883133

Post by Joe »

You could just take an old PC throw some drives in it and install FreeNAS or Ubuntu+Samba or something like that.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.