Finding true "date last modified" of a file

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
ByronTheBulb
Donor
Ingame Name: ByronTheBulb
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Finding true "date last modified" of a file

Post by ByronTheBulb »

Alrighty, ATG.

Here's the problem. I recently found out I didn't submit one of my assignments online or something happened in the process of submitting, either way, it didn't get to my prof. I emailed him a few days ago saying I forgot about it, but I assured him I finished it well before the deadline. I sent him the file as well as snapshots of the file's properties to show him the "date last modified/date last created."

He replied saying he would love to give me the points, but I could have changed the dates easily by changing the date on the PC, which I didn't know was possible until he told me that. He then asked me if I did it on the school's network (i can't change those settings) BUT...i do all my assignments in my room. PLUS, I forgot to email the file to myself as a backup.

Then I also took snapshots of the Microsoft Access (it was a database assignment) screen because it shows the recently opened files on the right. The file I was supposed to submit was near the bottom with the date 2/22/2011.

Well, today I talked to him after class and he said that could have been easily modified as well. He told me he would give me the points eventually (he believes I made an honest mistake), but he wants to see if I could find creative ways to find other ways to prove that was the indeed the ACTUAL date last modified.

Any suggestions? I called my old PC-savvy college buds, but they can't think of anything either.
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Re: Finding true "date last modified" of a file

Post by Molimo »

The only way I can think of is if you ever sent it through email at one time (finished or partially finished). I do that sometimes when I work on different PCs.

Otherwise the dates (Modified, Edited, Open) on a document can easily be changed with a simple program. And can also be done by simply changing your clock settings.

So unless you have sent it through email, at one time, there is nothing else you can use to prove it's date.
Tahko
Admin
Ingame Name: ᴅɢz! Hartmann
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:20888205

Post by Tahko »

I know Hotmail will save a draft of an e-mail automatically. So, if the e-mail failed to send it might be in there. Not sure if other services have this feature or not.
SirDumpling
Admin
Ingame Name: Dragoon

Post by SirDumpling »

Make your prof watch Inception
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Molimo's right I'm afraid. Unless you even started putting it in an email, there is no way to prove it. Unless you keep your system on 24-7 and have something logging the time every minute or something like that...also somewhat cheatable anyway.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Tobuoi
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Tobuoi
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23563807

Post by Tobuoi »

SirDumpling wrote:Make your prof watch Inception
Huh?
ByronTheBulb
Donor
Ingame Name: ByronTheBulb

Post by ByronTheBulb »

Whoohoo...Prof let me submit it anyway.

I will email shit to myself from now on.

also

BBBW!!

bring back badwater
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Post by Magus »

Byron_idiot
ByronTheBulb
Donor