Post Your PC Specs & Pics

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Random Chaos
Scout
Ingame Name: Random Chaos
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:31453638

Re: Post Your PC Specs & Pics

Post by Random Chaos »

A couple months ago the 22" decided to die, actually. Had to take it appart and replace a few capacitors. Works great now :)
Tahko
Admin
Ingame Name: ᴅɢz! Hartmann
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:20888205

Post by Tahko »

Dual quad cores? Don't you need a server mobo to do that? I didn't think those were really meant for gaming.
Joe
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Joe
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:3883133

Post by Joe »

Tahko wrote:Dual quad cores? Don't you need a server mobo to do that? I didn't think those were really meant for gaming.
Mac Pro's are meant for professional video editing and rendering and stuff like that, that's why they come with dual processors. You can also put 64GB of ram in them.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
Random Chaos
Scout
Ingame Name: Random Chaos
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:31453638

Post by Random Chaos »

My version is capped at 32GBs. There is no reason you can't use server grade CPUs and motherboards for gaming. They are the same as your desktop grade items, but with a few extra features that allow multiprocessor setups. It's the video card that makes the difference!

At some point, I need to upgrade my video cards some. Thinking this winter maybe. Depends on what is available and supported for the Mac - that's its biggest drawback: a lack of selection in video cards due to a lack of drivers and requirement of EFI. Only the Mac Pro lets you upgrade the video card. All other Macs have them built into the motherboards.
Tahko
Admin
Ingame Name: ᴅɢz! Hartmann
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:20888205

Post by Tahko »

Ah, I didn't know they were making Macs like this. That's cool though, can you SLI with Macs or did you just buy three random GFX cards because you couldn't SLI?
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

new 24" monitor.

madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Dual IPS? Very nice Mullet, I shall live in my ignorance with LCD screens :D
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

Just upgraded a few components in mine. New parts are marked with *.

*Processor: Intel Core I5-2500K
*Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro
*Memory: 8GB (2x 4Gb) G.Skill DDR3 1600 Mhz
PSU: Coolermaster 750W
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 4850
HDD: 640Gb WD Caviar Black + 500Gb WD Caviar Black

My Next upgrade is my Video Card, Hopefully I can upgrade it within a few months,(Before BF3).
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

lol thx MaTtT.

Solid rig Molimo, very nice.
Molimo
Admin

Post by Molimo »

Nice Setup Mullet

I love your Desk, Looks very Nice!

And I might as well post a picture of my setup. It's not much but it works.
Attachments
2011-09-03 10.40.49.jpg
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

Molimo wrote:Just upgraded a few components in mine. New parts are marked with *.

*Processor: Intel Core I5-2500K
*Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro
*Memory: 8GB (2x 4Gb) G.Skill DDR3 1600 Mhz
PSU: Coolermaster 750W
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 4850
HDD: 640Gb WD Caviar Black + 500Gb WD Caviar Black

My Next upgrade is my Video Card, Hopefully I can upgrade it within a few months,(Before BF3).
Molimo, are you having any trouble with that motherboard in terms of crashing or freezes? I have the same motherboard, and it was a very large headache for me when I first got it. What was the rev on it? The one I purchased was Rev3.0 I believe, but there is a 3.1 out. Also, what is the voltage on that RAM?
Molimo
Admin

Post by Molimo »

IM A COMPUTAH wrote:Molimo, are you having any trouble with that motherboard in terms of crashing or freezes? I have the same motherboard, and it was a very large headache for me when I first got it. What was the rev on it? The one I purchased was Rev3.0 I believe, but there is a 3.1 out. Also, what is the voltage on that RAM?
I've only had it for a few days now and it's been really stable. No crashes or freezes. Booted up no problem, I reformated and then Updated the Bios.

I read alot about the crashes but I still ended up purchasing the Rev 3.0 as I got it at a very very good price. I read alot about it and it seems the 3.1 only changed the USB controller on it.

Also my ram is running at 1.5V right now with no issues.

I didn't OC yet as I still have the current Heatsink. My previous Aftermarket Heatsink did not have the brackets for the 1155 Socket so I contacted the Manufacturer and I'm awaiting them now.
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

My problems didn't start occurring until after a month after I purchased this motherboard.

Here's a list of problems I had:
  • When your computer starts idling and goes into screensaver mode or sleep mode, the faulty USB controller does not allow your computer to wake. I had to do something in the BIOS to fix this, but I do not recall any more. If this starts happening to you, let me know I'll take a look
  • I also had 1.65V, 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM that I had to downclock to 1.5V, 1333Mhz in order for this to run stable.
  • There was another issue with the Marvell Storage Controller. If you can, I would suggest avoiding putting any devices on these SATA ports, and disabling the controller in the BIOS. The Intel controller is superior anyways.
This board is not a beginner's board for sure as it will more then likely put you through a few headaches, however you have the technical knowledge to work through these problems.
Molimo
Admin

Post by Molimo »

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to note anything that happens. I did find the CPU Temps to be weirdly innacurate. Bios states 57C, Asus AI Suite states 30C (idle) 64C(Load), Realtemp and Coretemp states 40C(Idle) and 72C(Load).

I still have the Stock heatsink as I had mentioned. I just don't know which one to trust. I know that the Bios temps will be higher than the Idle OS temps as it does not underclock the CPU. I'll have to wait for my aftermarket brackets to see what I can get out of this thing.

Thanks again for the heads up Computah!!
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Core temps are more accurate than BIOS temp. The BIOS temp is usually reading a sensor in the socket, while the core temps are sensors in the actual CPU. Read them off using Core Temp or similar, or perhaps that is what Asus AI Suite is reading, idk that software.

Side note: I reformatted my desktop OS today as the Vertex 2 had dropped a fair bit of speed. Tried moving the SSD to the Marvell controller on my mobo and leave the data RAID array on the Intel. Well, even in AHCI, the SSD on the marvell controller maxed out at ~120MB/s R/W. On the Intel, 270W/280R, as spec'd. Apparently the Marvell controller issues I've heard about with SSDs doesn't apply to just SATA 3 ports...
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica