Looking to upgrade CPU

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy
Ingame Name: Light Of Darkness
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Re: Looking to upgrade CPU

Post by Light Of Darkness »

I don`t really think that my GPU is the source of my low FPS.

I tried turning down options associated with GPU power, but it didn't really do anything.

For some reason, lowering resolution is like stabbing my FPS with a knife made of death, AIDS, SARS and leaded mercury.

I'm trying to find the GPU that I bought, but it looks like Tiger Direct no longer sells it.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3669
It may be that one, it does have 1 GB of VRAM of either DDR3 or DDR5.

My CPU still sucks ass though. It lags on freaking Minecraft whenever I travel around.
Freaking. Minecraft.
Desseler
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Desseler
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23045696

Post by Desseler »

TF2 is a very cpu needy game.

You can have 4 of the best gpus in the world and have a bad cpu and you will get poor fps.
WELL DON'T THAT BEAT ALL.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

Desseler wrote:TF2 is a very cpu needy game.

You can have 4 of the best gpus in the world and have a bad cpu and you will get poor fps.
Which is why I'm getting a CPU upgrade.

CIRCLE JERK GOOOO

Side note: There are mobos that can quad-SLI. With 480s.
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Light Of Darkness wrote:Side note: There are mobos that can quad-SLI. With 480s.
And it is pointless beyond 2 GPUs really.

And yea, I'd go with your CPU first, I've got a good one and it still gets about 75% usage in TF2 across all 4 cores (3.4 GHz) with settings mostly maxed. But then you'll want a new GPU eventually, thus a new PSU...and soon enough you end up building/getting a new one, lol.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

SandvichSpy wrote:like I said before: I had a dual core cpu and I couldn't handle 32 man badwater, so I built a new rig with an i7, and now I don't get fps drops anywhere(unless someone were to make a 256 man server or something...LOL)
Apparently, the Source engine has the capacity to host a server of up to 255 people.

NOW LETS STEER THIS SUCKER BACK ON TOPIC.

RECOMMEND ME A FRIGGIN AM2 CPU (AM3 feels like a bit of a waste since AM2 sockets can't keep up :/)
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

madmattd wrote:And it is pointless beyond 2 GPUs really.

And yea, I'd go with your CPU first, I've got a good one and it still gets about 75% usage in TF2 across all 4 cores (3.4 GHz) with settings mostly maxed. But then you'll want a new GPU eventually, thus a new PSU...and soon enough you end up building/getting a new one, lol.
I do plan to eventually build a new one, however right now I'm fine with just upgrading my CPU.
Tahko
Admin
Ingame Name: ᴅɢz! Hartmann
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:20888205

Post by Tahko »

What motherboard do you have, Light?
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

http://www.dhgate.com/ecs-mcp61pm-hm-ne ... 27f61.html

I think it's this one.
EVEREST told me it was ECS MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

If indeed your board will take AM2+, then this would do you nicely: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Does not come with a heat sink, which is good, you can get a real one and save yourself a few bucks.

I would check the CPU support list though, I think the boards need a BIOS update in most cases to run AM2+ if they are AM2. An AMD fanboy here like Stephen should be able to confirm/deny.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Tahko
Admin

Post by Tahko »

Yeah, his motherboard can handle 1-4 core processors. I'd go with an x4 if you have enough.
CPU/Processor

* Socket: AM2+
* Supports the following processors:
o Phenom with Quad Core technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt)
o Athlon64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
o Athlon64 less than 4000+
o Sempron less than 3800+
http://www.pnjcom.com/ECS-MCP61PM-HM-Ne ... HM-V22.htm
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

madmattd wrote:If indeed your board will take AM2+, then this would do you nicely: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Does not come with a heat sink, which is good, you can get a real one and save yourself a few bucks.

I would check the CPU support list though, I think the boards need a BIOS update in most cases to run AM2+ if they are AM2. An AMD fanboy here like Stephen should be able to confirm/deny.
Looks like I'm gonna get that one.
Can you link me to the BIOS update?
Also will my stock cooler be enough or should I get a new one?
One last favor, could you find one for me at TigerDirect? I'm going to be in Toronto (probably) over the holidays so I can pick it up there (my parents are REALLY paranoid about spending money online, plus the last time I ordered from newegg it took forever to get it)
Snake Oil Salesman
Admin
Ingame Name: {︣ﺍȜƦס}SnakeOil Salesman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:19955410

Post by Snake Oil Salesman »

Light Of Darkness wrote:
madmattd wrote:If indeed your board will take AM2+, then this would do you nicely: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

One last favor, could you find one for me at TigerDirect? I'm going to be in Toronto (probably) over the holidays so I can pick it up there (my parents are REALLY paranoid about spending money online, plus the last time I ordered from newegg it took forever to get it)
Bios update: look on the mobo site. I hate messing with those things =P
Cooler: depends, how much are you going to overclock (lawl, I havent read enough into this thread to know which cpu your getting.)
Tigerdirect/whatever: theres a Canadian newegg =P
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

Snake Oil Salesman wrote:
Light Of Darkness wrote:

Bios update: look on the mobo site. I hate messing with those things =P
Cooler: depends, how much are you going to overclock (lawl, I havent read enough into this thread to know which cpu your getting.)
Tigerdirect/whatever: theres a Canadian newegg =P
I don't intend to overclock in the near future.
I have no idea what the mobo site is because I had bought a pre-built computer from Best Buy and started from there (I was 10 years old okay >:( yes it is currently like 4-5 years old or something)
Also, my parents are really paranoid about spending money online,so they prefer to just buy it from retailers like TigerDirect.
And I once ordered something from Newegg that took ages longer than the posted time to receive. I assume that the postal service here in Kannadia is terrible.
Tahko
Admin

Post by Tahko »

I doubt there was an updated BIOS for that motherboard then (Since it's so old). I checked the ECS Website and they don't have it.

Code: Select all

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads/Downloads_list.aspx?MenuID=61&LanID=9

Here are quad-cores on TigerDirect. You want to go with Phenom NOT Phenom II (if you're getting an X4)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1946

EDIT: Actually, I don't think your motherboard can handle these quad-cores. They're above 9600 frequency mark.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO