microphone for a home recording studio

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
suhanee
BANNED
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

microphone for a home recording studio

Post by suhanee »

What is a good microphone for a home recording studio? I am a musician and would like to start recording my stuff. I'm just wondering what microphone I could get, but still have relatively good quality. The most I'd be able to pay would be $150, anything lower than that would be groovy.
I don't know if this is even relevant, but I need it to hook up to my computer.
Last edited by suhanee on September 26th, 2010, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheKeef
Admin
Ingame Name: Lawyers Guns & Money

Re: microphone for a home recording studio

Post by TheKeef »

You should do some reading up, there are different microphones for different purposes. A mic is a mic, until you are talking about wanting a very clean signal for recording and such.

I am not the expert you seek, but I can tell you that much. 150 bucks for a good recording mic might be a bit on the cheap side really, just a basic search shows that.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=recording+microphones
ImageImage

Stage IV T-Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma Survivor, Cancer Killing Ninja Motherfucker.
Soldiero
Admin
Ingame Name: >BRO<Soldiero[ATG]
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:23088531

Post by Soldiero »

this is an awesome microphone that you can record lots of stuff with
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers

I don't know as much about good microphones to usb stuff but this is a cheaper usb to microphone thing
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 8wIwCDgA#p

and then you would just need a mic cord
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 8wIwATgA#p

and I personally run sound systems soo yeah I know the mic will be a good mic for just about any instrument or voice and that is the cord you will want I just haven't had to have the mic connected directly to the computer

and one of many questions can you equalize your instrument or voice on your computer cause if you can't then you'll need a mini-soundboard I am guessing that can hook up to your computer but also what are you trying to record and depending on where you live I could help you with some stuff if you want to
muchos gracias Tahko
hulkvsspawn
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]hulkvsspawn
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17449644

Post by hulkvsspawn »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6836431024

This is an excellent mic. You can select from cardoid, omni and bi directional.

This is a usb mic.
"insert 2 capsules into vagina" <-- Mala
"centuries" <-- My dipshit brother
Lord Melchior
Ingame Name: [ATG] Lord Melchior
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:24385041

Post by Lord Melchior »

I'd suggest going to a nearby music store and buying the most expensive-looking mic they have.

Other than that, for musical purposes I'd suggest you buy a stand-up microphone, complete with air filter.
And basically any microphone will work as long as you put it in a (somewhat) soundproof room or studio.
TheKeef
Admin
Ingame Name: Lawyers Guns & Money

Post by TheKeef »

Lord Melchior wrote:I'd suggest going to a nearby music store and buying the most expensive-looking mic they have.

And basically any microphone will work as long as you put it in a (somewhat) soundproof room or studio.
Both of these are completely wrong. I'd listen to what soldiero had to say that seems like a nice mic for 80 beans, and that mic Hulk suggests may not be name brand, but its got all the features. Let me give a warning though, you get what you pay for in music so you might want to save that cash and invest in a known product. Whatever you do don't listen to Melchior's brain fart.

I have been playing electric guitar since I was 7 (25 years), so I really do know, just cuz something is the right price, doesn't mean it's the right instrument. This goes across the entire spectrum of music and it's instruments. Buy a 150 watt Rogue amp (guitar center) or go to that same store and buy a Peavy 150.. Night and day difference. A mic is a mic, unless you want real quality in your final product.
ImageImage

Stage IV T-Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma Survivor, Cancer Killing Ninja Motherfucker.
Soldiero
Admin
Ingame Name: >BRO<Soldiero[ATG]
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:23088531

Post by Soldiero »

TheKeef wrote:
Lord Melchior wrote:I'd suggest going to a nearby music store and buying the most expensive-looking mic they have.

Both of these are completely wrong. I'd listen to what soldiero had to say that seems like a nice mic for 80 beans, and that mic Hulk suggests may not be name brand, but its got all the features. Let me give a warning though, you get what you pay for in music so you might want to save that cash and invest in a known product. Whatever you do don't listen to Melchior's brain fart.

I have been playing electric guitar since I was 7 (25 years), so I really do know, just cuz something is the right price, doesn't mean it's the right instrument. This goes across the entire spectrum of music and it's instruments. Buy a 150 watt Rogue amp (guitar center) or go to that same store and buy a Peavy 150.. Night and day difference. A mic is a mic, unless you want real quality in your final product.
yeah this is true I have been running sound for four years now and good mic wise that mic is good I would just recommend getting a small soundboard but even the cheapest ones on half off are still like at least $50 probably more

but you don't need a soundproof room at all this guy plays an amazing song and records it in his living room and he uses the mic I recommended
muchos gracias Tahko
Lord Melchior
Ingame Name: [ATG] Lord Melchior
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:24385041

Post by Lord Melchior »

sorry don't listen to my brain farts :C

I only have experience with my microphone, which is awesome, but yeah.

In any case keep the mic away from whirring PC fans, or you'll recording will be screwed :/