Sound Distortion problem

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Tahko
Admin
Ingame Name: ᴅɢz! Hartmann
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:20888205

Sound Distortion problem

Post by Tahko »

Specs:

Athlon64 X2 4800+ 2.5Ghz
Asus M2N SLI (With Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG)
2GB RAM DDR2
500 watt psu
nVidia GeForece GTS 250
My monitor is an HP 2009m (It has built-in speakers)

General problem:

So... randomly my sound will be a very high pitched distorted sound (sort of like when you turn on an old t.v. with no cable and get that snowy channel). The only way I can fix this is by completely turning off my computer, psu and all. Before, it was only happening daily if not bi-daily (two days). Coincidentally, I found a post similar to my problem on some forum, posted my problem there and now it's happening more frequent.. three times today. :cry:

This wasn't happening until a month or two ago and I got Windows 7 (32bit Ultimate) back in February, I believe. It usually happens when I watch videos in VLC. Today was the first time it happened (that I can remember) when watching something online (Youtube) It has yet to happen in a game. My drivers are all up-to-date, I tried downloading Realtek HD drivers (because these have helped me in the past with other problems) with no luck. Not that I had found any evidence of the drivers actually being installed on my PC.

This is a problem because I leave my PC on almost all the time so I can download. Now you're probably thinking that has nothing to do with audio... but it ties in with my sleeping habit, I have a habit of watching movies/anime when I go to sleep (it's like white noise to me). It's the worst... more worse than any alarm clock you can think of. The worst thing is to be waken up by this god damn sound. It's extremely loud, once the sound happens not even a second later I'm awake, fully awake. I have to shut it off immediately or it will wake the whole house hold. I fear it will happen when I'm gaming (I game with a headset) and I'll have a heart attack or something.
SirDumpling
Admin
Ingame Name: Dragoon
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Re: Sound Distortion problem

Post by SirDumpling »

try completely re-installing your video card.
control panel -> device manager -> sound adapters or whatever -> right click, uninstall -> restart. it will automatically detect that you haven't installed it, so it will install it again.
TheKeef
Admin
Ingame Name: Lawyers Guns & Money

Post by TheKeef »

Download like the K-Lite codec pack or something similar (I use K-Lite it's nice) and make sure all your codecs are up to date like your drivers, also.

http://www.codecguide.com/klcp_update.htm

Turn off any hardware accel in VLC would be my first move after that, assuming it didn't work. I would also go into the bios and check my onboard settings for sound, just to see if anything looks like it could be shitty'ing up the works.
SirDumpling wrote:try completely re-installing your video card.
control panel -> device manager -> sound adapters or whatever -> right click, uninstall -> restart. it will automatically detect that you haven't installed it, so it will install it again.
Umm, no, just no.
ImageImage

Stage IV T-Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma Survivor, Cancer Killing Ninja Motherfucker.
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

tough to say what it could be, on board sound can pick up alot of electrical noise from your motherboard and cause static. and the only fix for that is buying an add on sound card.
hulkvsspawn
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG]hulkvsspawn
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17449644

Post by hulkvsspawn »

Stephen wrote:tough to say what it could be, on board sound can pick up alot of electrical noise from your motherboard and cause static. and the only fix for that is buying an add on sound card.
I was thinking along the same lines. Does that GTS250 have onboard sound? I doubt this is happening, but maybe the onboard audio is conflicting with audio from the video card. Do you have this motherboard --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131013

If you do try these drivers
-->http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/a ... taWin7.zip

Also you could use http://tinyurl.com/38x3kdf to clean out unwanted items (programs and old drivers)
"insert 2 capsules into vagina" <-- Mala
"centuries" <-- My dipshit brother
Tahko
Admin

Post by Tahko »

@Keef I have the K-Lite, CCCP and CoreAVC codec packs. I'll try checking my BIOS (at one point I was messing around OC'ing my cpu - maybe I accidentally did something else)

@Stephen If it picked up static, wouldn't it fry or something? Rendering it unusable rather than it becoming distorted at random times? And wouldn't my computer say something like "this device has stopped working?" or whatever?

@Hulk My video card does not have on-board sound. It has HDMI, DVI, and VGA (I'm using DVI). I don't have that motherboard (mine isn't deluxe). Although, I'm not noticing any differences. Ah, I forgot to install Revo. (nice link btw lol)

I'll test a few of these out and post results if anything happens.
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

nah wouldnt fry its just picking up magnetic waves from caps and other junk on your mother board, onboard audio isnt shielded the way addon cards are
Mister Joey
Scout
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mister Joey
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:16867453

Post by Mister Joey »

if you have access to empty DVD's/CD's and a CD/DVD burner, you could try booting up from a liev linux distro and see if it happens in there. (or If it gives you some kind of error)
http://www.youtube.com/jojotjuh I make youtube poop music videos =3
---
PC Specs
---
"you unliterate fuck"
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

How about something stupid. Does this only happen through the monitor speakers (or whatever speaker you are using if not those)? Monitor speakers are notoriously terrible and could easily get fried by the hot monitor too.

If you can consistently cause the problem (sounds like you cannot atm), try using headset and causing the problem, if it doesn't blow your ears out, it's the monitor speakers. Or, just steal speakers from a family member/roommate/whatever and run off those for a few days and see what happens.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
SirDumpling
Admin
Ingame Name: Dragoon
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by SirDumpling »

TheKeef wrote:Umm, no, just no.
why not
i've done it multiple times on multiple computers. it's fixed my mic several times. actually did this yesterday when people said my mic sounded like dicks on a chalkboard.
Tahko
Admin

Post by Tahko »

@KeefOkay, so I checked my BIOS and none of the settings were changed. I set everything to default. (Just to be sure) I reset all my VLC settings as well. (but I don't think it's just vlc because this happened while I watched youtube videos, too)

@Joey I'm not sure what I would do on Linux... (I do have an installation disc though) there were times where this problem went 3-4 days without occurring.

@Matt It's not just my monitor, at one point when it started happening I took out my speaker jack and plugged in my headset and the noise persisted. I'll try using other speakers for the time being (so this can be a controlled experiment lol)

@Dumpling I'm not sure how that would work since I've already explained my video card doesn't have on-board sound, but I guess I'll try it.

@Hulk I went to ASUS' website and looked for my motherboard and it didn't have Windows 7 listed as an OS... could that mean they're not compatible? Should I try the drivers for the deluxe motherboard?
Dan(omite)
Donor
Ingame Name: Dan(omite)
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:16930891

Post by Dan(omite) »

I think dumpling may have meant your sound card, not video card. In his directions, he said "sound adapters or whatever"