My laptop is probably dead

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Desseler
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Desseler
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23045696

My laptop is probably dead

Post by Desseler »

Well I just got back from a little trip and on my way back my laptop just suddenly goes wack. When I try to turn it on everything turns on except the monitor And nothing loads (I know nothing loads because it makes no sounds and I cant turn the touchpad off or caps lock on). I'm posting this from my itouch, so I hope it isn't hardware failure (iGPU).
WELL DON'T THAT BEAT ALL.
Desseler
Admin

Re: My laptop is probably dead

Post by Desseler »

FYI this means I won't be able to play tf2. It is my only comp
Lord Melchior
Ingame Name: [ATG] Lord Melchior
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:24385041

Post by Lord Melchior »

Sucks man D:
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Bummer. It could also be a hard drive issue, my mom's last year had a similar issue 3 months after installing a new hard drive. Turn it on and get nothing except the black blinking cursor of death in the corner (I know you said you have no monitor both otherwise the same symptoms). We exchanged the hard drive and got the same problem 3 months after that. Then we went back to the old drive, lol.

Could also be the motherboard. I don't know what to tell you, I guess call tech support.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

desktop > laptop
Lord Melchior

Post by Lord Melchior »

Stephen wrote:desktop > laptop
Yes, as far as gaming is concerned I agree on said matter.
Desseler
Admin

Post by Desseler »

Yes I figured that out AFTER I got my laptop
Soldiero
Admin
Ingame Name: >BRO<Soldiero[ATG]
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:23088531

Post by Soldiero »

Desseler wrote:
Yes I figured that out AFTER I got my laptop
well that is not true for me since I need my comp other places just as much as at my house.... yes I realize that you are talking about just for gaming too
muchos gracias Tahko
Lord Melchior

Post by Lord Melchior »

Soldiero wrote:well that is not true for me since I need my comp other places just as much as at my house.... yes I realize that you are talking about just for gaming too
External HD's are the way to go.
Mullet
Donor

Post by Mullet »

+1
Mister Joey
Scout
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mister Joey
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:16867453

Post by Mister Joey »

Try taking out the harddrive, and putting it back in. YOu may think it wont work, but it did for my mom's laptiop. It wouldnt do anything anymore, turns out some dust got into the sata connection somehow and ruined it, and so the electricity wasn't correct, causing it to fail booting.
Lord Melchior wrote:
Soldiero wrote:well that is not true for me since I need my comp other places just as much as at my house.... yes I realize that you are talking about just for gaming too
External HD's are the way to go.
For backups, yes. For OS/Software, not so much. The latency the USB port + the 60MB/s transfer rate bring really limit the capabilities as compared to normal IDE/SATA harddrives. The Latency in USB makes it really not cool for gaming, as aeverytime your game needs graphics, it has to wait extra for the USB to transfer teh data, as compared to Normalones. Also, yours is hot enough to bake eggs on =3
http://www.youtube.com/jojotjuh I make youtube poop music videos =3
---
PC Specs
---
"you unliterate fuck"
Lord Melchior

Post by Lord Melchior »

Mister Joey wrote:Also, yours is hot enough to bake eggs on =3
CONVENIENCE ALL THE WAAAAAY :3
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

Mister Joey wrote:For backups, yes. For OS/Software, not so much. The latency the USB port + the 60MB/s transfer rate bring really limit the capabilities as compared to normal IDE/SATA harddrives. The Latency in USB makes it really not cool for gaming, as aeverytime your game needs graphics, it has to wait extra for the USB to transfer teh data, as compared to Normalones. Also, yours is hot enough to bake eggs on =3
ESATA FTW! Same speed as if it was directly on the SATA connector on your mobo, oh wait, it is!

You must have some awesome USB drive to get 60MB/s transfer speed, I have never gotten one to do even close to 1/2 that really (can't remember the exact number offhand, I have ESATA on my desktop, my laptop fails at life these days). 60MB/s is a tad more than a plain jane 7200 RPM SATA 2 drive will do through SATA.

But I still agree that an OS?software drive should be internal, harder to unplug/switch it off then.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica
Molimo
Admin
Ingame Name: [eK²] Molimo
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8582793

Post by Molimo »

I totally Agree, No one should ever run an OS or any Software/Games off an external HDD.

But what Lord Melchior was suggesting is what I do for Managing my files at Home/University/Work. I have a my Gaming Desktop PC at Home, Desktop at Work and a Laptop for University. My External HDD has all my University/Work files on it. so when I Create/Modify Files I have access to them Anywhere I go.

I NEVER use my laptop at home, so If I have work to do at home it's easy to manage my files with this External HDD.
Mister Joey
Scout
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mister Joey
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:16867453

Post by Mister Joey »

madmattd wrote:
Mister Joey wrote:For backups, yes. For OS/Software, not so much. The latency the USB port + the 60MB/s transfer rate bring really limit the capabilities as compared to normal IDE/SATA harddrives. The Latency in USB makes it really not cool for gaming, as aeverytime your game needs graphics, it has to wait extra for the USB to transfer teh data, as compared to Normalones. Also, yours is hot enough to bake eggs on =3
ESATA FTW! Same speed as if it was directly on the SATA connector on your mobo, oh wait, it is!

You must have some awesome USB drive to get 60MB/s transfer speed, I have never gotten one to do even close to 1/2 that really (can't remember the exact number offhand, I have ESATA on my desktop, my laptop fails at life these days). 60MB/s is a tad more than a plain jane 7200 RPM SATA 2 drive will do through SATA.

But I still agree that an OS?software drive should be internal, harder to unplug/switch it off then.
USB has a limit of 480mbps which (I think) equates to 60 MB/s. Right now, of course, you will nto max this out. But when stuff gets faster USB2 will eb outdated. Luckily USB3 is already becoming more and more popular. And eSATA FTW.
http://www.youtube.com/jojotjuh I make youtube poop music videos =3
---
PC Specs
---
"you unliterate fuck"