New build

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Das Forscher
Admin
Ingame Name: Das Forscher
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:10843303

New build

Post by Das Forscher »

Had a few parts from my old setup fail, been running on crappy backups for a while. I figure it's time for a new build. So far I am looking at:

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair III

CPU: Phenom II x4 965

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB

I am completely stuck on what video card to get. I'd like to stay under about 800$ total, so far I'm up to $500. I want to try an ATI card - had bad experiences with many of the Nvidia cards I've had so far. Was thinking of trying a 5850, since some of those are sitting on the $300 dollar mark and I've heard ATI outperforms Nvidia by a lot in the same price range.

Also, questions:

1) I have a Enermax 1250W PSU - will this be able to power a newer setup? I had crashing problems when I ran a GTX265 that I put down to power issues (had a PC Power Cooling 750W at the time), but the 1250W didn't change anything. Runs stable with my 9800GT. I just don't want power to be an issue.

2) Is it wise to get an aftermarket CPU cooler if I'm not overclocking?

3) Thinking of moving to Windows 7 and trying 64-bit for better RAM usage. I vaguely recall that back in the day with XP 64-bit you had to have a certain kind of CPU or some shit. Anything special required for a 64-bit system?

Any suggestions/advice would be MUCH appreciated - I know there are people here much more knowledgeable than I. Haven't built a PC in so long, the limit of my wisdom is what parts I need and to get whatever is cheapest and has the best reviews on newegg :oops:
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Re: New build

Post by Stephen »

got yourself a good build there, if you wanted you could upgrade to the crosshair 4 i just got it, its got there newer chipset usb 3 and sata 3.

for vid card 5850 will be plenty, very good power management and low heat. since you live in america try and get say an xfx they have the best warrenty around.

psu: 1250 will be a litle over kill for that system, but will be fine. witg all that running youll be looking at about 400w max at full load.

cpu cooler: you can use stock but theres so many cheap coolers that do way better job. good cooler for the price is one of the cooler master hyper series with heat pipes right on cpu. (plus that amd cpu is very easy to over clock if you want to down the road for a speed bump)

64 bit: any cpu you buy today will support 64bit. you wont have any problems with 64 bit now adays because it can still run 32 bit enviroment programs. if your gonna get win 7 i suggest getting a OEM version say either win 7 64 bit home premium OEM or win 7 64 bit pro OEM.

you will only get one disc but its half the price of retail version.

dont forget to buy some thermal paste aswell, stuff heatsinks come with usualy is dried out lol. get something like Artic cooling MX 3

and is your HDD's SATA or IDE

im not really sure where your ordering from but if you tell me i can point you to good parts.
Das Forscher
Admin

Post by Das Forscher »

I'm using SATA drives....I'm set for thermal paste, still have tons left from the last time I built a rig. Any real advantage to having usb3 and sata3 chipset? Crosshair 4 is only ~30 dollars more but I don't really need a lot of bells and whistles for peripheral/hdd, unless having sata3 is better for load times etc. I'm always willing to dish out for the CPU/GPU but is it important to have a top of the line mobo?

I'm using sata HDDs, and I've always bought from newegg.

The 5850 I was looking at is this one, XFX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150477

Didn't even know they made ATI cards, but sounds like it gets the seal of approval.

Thanks a lot Stephen :)
Desseler
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Desseler
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23045696

Post by Desseler »

Yes, get the 5850 and overclock that baby.
WELL DON'T THAT BEAT ALL.
Mala
Manager
Ingame Name: Mala
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:25263832

Post by Mala »

This is similar to what I built a few months ago. I looked at the crosshair III for a while, but I decided since I wasn't going to overclock I could downgrade a little bit. I went with the M4A79XTD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product) as someone here suggested and I'm really happy with it. But I would only downgrade if you need to spend less money - the crosshair III (or IV if you want) is really a great board.

I have the 5850 and I really like it. I went with Sapphire, but its not available on newegg right now. XFX is good.

I went from XP to 7 64bit and I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I've really gotten used to it and its nice now.

Are you going to get a new case or just use an old one?
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

well mobo really is the heart of everything, most of the features are extra, but the important parts are much better. crosshair 3 is still good board but if it its only 30 bucks more id go for that.

crosshair 4 has bit better chipset 890fx , youll gain about 10 fps with 5850 versus using the 790fx.
800 series is designed for the 5000 series video cards.

and never hurts to have new tech for the future, incase you want an sdd within the year or so better to get a sata 3 version even though sata 2 version will still knock the socks off any hdd

and that card is not bad, if you can find a refrence design with he fan near the end will be better, as the new version runs slightly hotter due to cheaper manufacuring although it will still be more then perfect.
Desseler
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Desseler
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23045696

Post by Desseler »

Stephen wrote:it will still be more then perfect.
Just impossible
WELL DON'T THAT BEAT ALL.
Das Forscher
Admin

Post by Das Forscher »

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Mala: I'm using my old case, had a 900 for a couple years. Only thing is I'm worried the 5850 might not fit, but if a GTX265 could fit I think the new one ought to.
Mala
Manager
Ingame Name: Mala
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:25263832

Post by Mala »

I've got a 902 and the 5850 fits perfectly fine in mine. I'm thinking it should be ok but you could always measure if you're worried.

Good luck with the new build =)
BoyButtSlapa
Manager
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by BoyButtSlapa »

an antec 900 which the case i have will be able to fit a 5870, i seen pictures somewhere on the net, since next month i am going Crossfire with 2 sapphire vapour-x (875mhz) 5870's. I also have a pc power and cooling 750 power supply and thats more then enough for what your gonna have since right now my total draw is under 150w - 250w with my 4850. 600 w is recommended for crossfire set up on 5870s so a single 5850 your PSU is overkill. but i was going to keep my antec 900 but just ordered that sexy case, the Coolermaster HAF X. mmMmMmmm but other then that a 5850 would DOMINATE.

ps Build it NOW

later
Bill Whitecrow AKA [KFed] BoyButTSlaPa / FatBrown