Windows 10 will be Free

Got Problems or Advice post here. Want to show off your PC bling?
PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Electronics.
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Re: Windows 10 will be Free

Post by Stephen »

also about your user folder newman mine did same on fresh install on upgrade.

mines steph

so probably some kinda 5 charater max thing stuck somewhere in the fresh install
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

Stephen wrote:as for the user folder are you sure you didnt type newma for username, or if you linked it to microsoft account that your name in the settings isnt newma
I don't recall even setting a username at all, just logging into my MS account.
Stephen wrote:also about your user folder newman mine did same on fresh install on upgrade.

mines steph

so probably some kinda 5 charater max thing stuck somewhere in the fresh install
Ah, that's strange.
<Stuff and Nonsense />
madmattd
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] madmattd
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:22659932

Post by madmattd »

When I did the early preview, I used an old account that started with madmattd. It showed up as madma in Win10, so yes, likely a 5 char thingy. Very annoying, but I didn't care.

I did the upgrade from Win 7 Pro to 10 Pro last week on my desktop, then as soon as I verified it showed as activated under Windows properties, I did the clean install. Initially it didn't activate, but a restart or two later and it did. Likely MS's servers getting hammered that night (it was release day after all). No plans to redo my system for a couple years yet, so not worried about the fact it will be locked. Not sure if I will update my laptop or not as it is already 4.5 years old, but I have a year to decide.

No real issues so far, but I'm not a fan that drivers are no longer optional updates (I'm fine with not being able to totally turn off updates - you can defer them by about a month if you want but that's it). I don't like to mess with drivers once one works, especially GPU and wifi.

I have noticed that I have about 30 less processes running now (low 80s now), even though I'm 95% back to the setup I had before as far as background stuff running. So that's nice.

Make sure to visit the privacy settings tab and review everything. Lots of stuff in there. If you chose the option during setup to not send diagnostic info to MS, it doesn't actually turn it off, just down to the medium level. You can drop it to "basic" in settings later.
"Chinese Sentries - they're cheap, crappy, and have little lights on the top!" - Pretendica