Zerg rush bish.
Darkblaze
Admin
Ingame Name: Darkblaze
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:18026806

SC2 DoTA

Post by Darkblaze »

http://www.playdota.com/forums/258279/s ... ota-genre/

That was fast... I haven't tried it yet.
Magus
Manager
Ingame Name: [ATG] Mäġůş
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:17489579

Re: SC2 DoTA

Post by Magus »

I know nothing about it.
Hell_Rell
Heavy
Ingame Name: Hell Rell

Post by Hell_Rell »

Wtf is dota?
SirDumpling
Admin
Ingame Name: Dragoon
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by SirDumpling »

dota is one of the premier e-sports (or was, but has taken the backseat for now thanks to sc2), along with counterstrike, sc1, wc3 and sc2.
too complicated to explain, you'd need to play to learn about it. if you are willing to, i will teach you anything and everything you need to know about it, though. And yes, i have played it competitively/am a very active forumer (1.5k posts on playdota or something), so i do know what i am talking about.

dota, which was based off of the old aeon of strife sc1 maps, was created in warcraft 3 by eul. It was then passed to guinsoo (who is now the creator of League of legends, which i will go deeper into in a bit), and was then passed on to icefrog, who is currently still the leader of the game creation. Do note that he is also heading his own team with valve to presumably create dota on the source engine (to remove many of the limitations of the wc3 engine).
essentially, you and 4 other teammates each control 1 hero and fight against an enemy team of 5, also each controlling a hero. The main objective is to kill the enemy team's main building, while other objectives are done along the way (farming/killing creeps, ganking heros, pushing towers, etc).

LoL and Heroes of newerth (hon from here-on in) both 'spawned' from dota. HoN is essentially the exact same thing, but with better graphics and a few new heroes (but many removed). LoL is a dumbed down version of dota, with graphics that would appeal to your typical 9 year old american pre-pubescent boy whose mom won't let him buy WoW. Do note that LoL also gives the 'high leveled accounts' (which can be bought or earned through winning games) advantages to their heroes no matter what. even though it has a less sharp learning curve than dota or hon, LoL is a lot more imbalanced towards the experienced because of that.

SotIS, which is supposed to be sc2 dota, is terrible in its current form. It is way too cluttered, the item slots are so hard to use, and its balance is horrible. Of course, it should all be fixed within time, but as it stands, it is a below average game. I'd rather spend my time playind Debates on sc2 than SotIS (debates is pretty fun/funny at times, though. not going to lie)