Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Demoman
Ingame Name: Avatar
SteamID: STEAM:0:1:11033851

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Post by Avatar »

will not live up to the Deus Ex name. I could go on as to why i believe this, so heres an early review of the beta. Yes i do realize its beta, but thats close enough to the finished product to be considered 'final' as in no more major changes will be going through.

TL;DR Review inside spoiler.
Spoiler! :
1) It is available on consoles. this should be self explanatory as to why it is bad for (what should have been [another] complex rpg). Demo controls/videos aside, it appears to be a console port actually with the way the buttons functions and PC capabilities on the same level as consoles

2) The health system. Deus Ex (a game published 11 years ago, might i add) had probably the best health system i have ever seen in a video game. Each body part had its own health bar and acted differently once killed, (once you lose health in bots legs, you're crippled and can only crawl, arms lose accuracy, head = vision loss + death, etc) whereas in DE:HR you have a halo type regenerative shield. Yep, thats about it.

3)The augmentation system AKA the entire focus of deus ex. i remember playing it and constantly mashing my F1-F12 keys on every level once i unlocked the augmentations. Managing power levels in combat was a pretty big key as well as using the power circulator/combining augmentations and choosing which ones you wanted to unlock (you could never have all the augmentations and the upgrades were pretty far away, but closing in at the end of the game.) DE:HR has this dumbed down to about 5 and the energy usage system dumbed down even further with many augs using no energy.

4)Cover based shooting. This leads to very passive gameplay where on "normal" difficulty you take 1-2 bullets and youre at low health so you move to cover and chill for a good while before going back out. If you're going to do regenerating health, you might as well do it right and leave the user able to take a hit or two. You can of course shoot while behind cover, but considering you have a low amount of bullets to begin with, this is pretty much a terrible idea.

5)Lack of a melee weapon to start off. Heres a cardboard box, go ahead and break it- nvm shoot it is your only option. You now have 3 bullets left.

6)Cluttered environments. This makes it really hard to determine which items you can/can't use or pick up because the (first couple levels) anyways are all a mess so unless you have the game hold your hand for you (automatic item highlighting, which btw highlights those cardboard boxes you can't break). Also revolver ammo looks like a can of four-loko or something.

7)Objective highlighting. Go here, okay next go here. Then here.

8) Mass effect style dialog options. Now there is nothing wrong with this inherently, its a good system that allows for more player choice/morality/all that stuff, but when you have a chat option like this every couple seconds, then it gets pretty bad. The first game had a good dialog system where you occasionally had to make a choice and the rest was automated and it felt like you still had a say in what was going on, but when im talking to someone's mom and the game asks for dialog input 6 times in a 2 minute convo, that's a bit overkill. Dialog will get boring really fast.

thats it for now. :/
Nothing.
Scout
Ingame Name: Nothing.
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:16441079

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Post by Nothing. »

I recall hearing about a leak or something, I forgot. Despite not playing the series at all, and only learning about it through videos, the first game seems fantastic for the age it was put out. Logically, I would have no place saying the most recent one is garbage, or bad. But it does strike me as not a particularly good addition to the series as a whole.
wrath
Scout
Ingame Name: Catbread:)Wrath[ATG]
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by wrath »

This. Game. Rocks.
I played the leak beta and it was epic as hell.
The story line is so intense it's like watching a movie. The guns are good, the augmentations make the game super fun and rpg like. The dialog is really nice too, I also like how you can read other peoples emails and collect books to understand more of the back story :P. I am defiantly going to buy this one :D.

-Don't hate on me, but I think its that good.
Demoman

Post by Avatar »

I plan on buying it too, tbh. I guess what I was trying to get at is: its not bad, its just really really dumbed down from the first one. It suffers from the same problem as Portal 2. Portal 2 was a pretty fun game, but it has the unfortunate position of being compared to Portal 1, which is by far a better game.

The story is good, but once you play the original Deus Ex and then you play this, you will realize why the first one is far superior and is still making top 5 spots on lists like "top 100 pc games of all time" every year. I do expect it to be a good game still, but not as good as it SHOULD have been were it made properly.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy
Ingame Name: Light Of Darkness

Post by Light Of Darkness »

Nostalgia goggles?
Having not played the original Deus Ex because I'm too lazy to finish a 20+ hour campaign (so I've been told) I'll see if I can pick this one up.
Demoman

Post by Avatar »

You will be missing out, but to each his own I guess.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy
Ingame Name: Light Of Darkness

Post by Light Of Darkness »

I tried out the first Deux Ex.
I'd appreciate it more if an HD remake/texture pack was floating around, but so far so good (still stuck on the first mission because I fail :/)
Last edited by Light Of Darkness on July 12th, 2011, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demoman

Post by Avatar »

1310322737830.png
IM A COMPUTAH
Donor
Ingame Name: IM A COMPUTAH

Post by IM A COMPUTAH »

For those interested, Green Man Gaming is selling this pre-order for $30, activated on Steam.
Use coupon code: GETYO-URWAN-DOUT1
http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/rpg ... on/?deusex