Creating a Game!

Web Master
Sniper
Ingame Name: Webfinders
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Creating a Game!

Post by Web Master »

Leave an explanation of the type of game you would want created. Tell us what genre of game you would love to be made real and what would be ground breaking in your game compared to others of its kind.

Mine would be similar to the setting of Fallout with more of the expected gun battles located in Rage. Where I come upon a small settlement after my family had moved to after escaping a group of bandits that had previously attacked their traveling convoy. The city over time would decay or flourish depending on how much attention I put forth into its developement. The city itself comes to serve you as it becomes under your control as the people put more of their trust into you. You then can set tasks for your people, whether it be sabotage an enemy encampment, or to find parts to upgrade your city. The people live to serve!

So lets begin....
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Re: Creating a Game!

Post by Newman »

When I was taking programming classes back in high school I had a half-assed RPG going for a while (I think I did two). The battle systems where in place, with attacking/healing/using items, no experience or anything and just the most basic over world that generates random battles.
<Stuff and Nonsense />
Light Of Darkness
Heavy
Ingame Name: Light Of Darkness

Post by Light Of Darkness »

Make sure just completely ignoring the town is an option as well (some kind of invisible meter, which increases when you help the town, and decreases the longer you don't help the town, after a certain point the town will take care of itself, however if you leave it in that state for too long then they won't serve you)
Also, have some kind of dynamic battle system like in The World Ends With You that allows you to choose your battles (for the most part, later in the game there are enemies that will actively chase you and bring you into battle) with a real-time battle system.
Web Master
Sniper

Post by Web Master »

Light Of Darkness wrote:Make sure just completely ignoring the town is an option as well (some kind of invisible meter, which increases when you help the town, and decreases the longer you don't help the town, after a certain point the town will take care of itself, however if you leave it in that state for too long then they won't serve you)
Also, have some kind of dynamic battle system like in The World Ends With You that allows you to choose your battles (for the most part, later in the game there are enemies that will actively chase you and bring you into battle) with a real-time battle system.
Yea, wanted to have the city work on its own later on but with attacks that hamper its progress. While still not having to worry all the time over its safety.
Lord Melchior
Ingame Name: [ATG] Lord Melchior
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:24385041

Post by Lord Melchior »

The World Ends With You 2.

oh and a Megaman Battle Network MMORPG.
Stephen
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] ﯖҭϵҏӊϵɳ
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:8566258

Post by Stephen »

did you make that in winoot newman

i had a text/picture based rpg remake of earthbound

plus i made a badass yahtzee game that got put on everyones games folder for awhile
Tobuoi
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Tobuoi
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23563807

Post by Tobuoi »

I'm really jealous of anyone who knows how to program video games--no matter how small. While I don't ever plan on making it my "thing", I can't wait to go to school and get an idea of how basic game programming works.

I've been refining some psuedo-devloped game ideas for years, now. One of them is largely based off of Final Fantasy-like RPG mechanics. It's turn-based with a large and diverse cast of characters who all have distinct abilities. Aside from that, it's largely story/character-based, similar to a typical JRPG. I imagine it with a good deal of western story-telling elements, though. Then, of course, there'd be lots of mysteries and puzzle-solving with items and whatnot.

Probably the second most-developed idea I have is for a single-player FPS/platformer game. Much to my dismay, it turns out that the setting and attitude of the game is very similar to Fallout 3, which I only recently started playing. Nonetheless, I've always been fascinated with mix-and-matching gameplay and genre elements, so with this game, I'd want to create an intricate, weapon-customization system combined with first-person shooting for most of the fights, whereas the rest of the gameplay could be in third-person, much like an action platformer. Aside from all that, I've always liked the idea of tag-along AI characters. I think it'd be cool to have something like Kingdom Hearts where you have two characters with you most of the time and you can switch them out at different locations. I think it'd be neat to pick up and lose different AI characters with different abilities as you travel across the apocalyptic world.

EDIT: Wow, that was a lot longer than I thought it'd be.
SirDumpling
Admin
Ingame Name: Dragoon

Post by SirDumpling »

+1 for Melchior's suggestions. Also more Professor Layton and Ace Attorney games.

Sometime I'd like to see a virtual reality CoD or TF2 game of sorts. Like, FPS in real life but with respawns as well.
Web Master
Sniper

Post by Web Master »

Tobuoi wrote:I'm really jealous of anyone who knows how to program video games--no matter how small. While I don't ever plan on making it my "thing", I can't wait to go to school and get an idea of how basic game programming works.

I've been refining some psuedo-devloped game ideas for years, now. One of them is largely based off of Final Fantasy-like RPG mechanics. It's turn-based with a large and diverse cast of characters who all have distinct abilities. Aside from that, it's largely story/character-based, similar to a typical JRPG. I imagine it with a good deal of western story-telling elements, though. Then, of course, there'd be lots of mysteries and puzzle-solving with items and whatnot.

Probably the second most-developed idea I have is for a single-player FPS/platformer game. Much to my dismay, it turns out that the setting and attitude of the game is very similar to Fallout 3, which I only recently started playing. Nonetheless, I've always been fascinated with mix-and-matching gameplay and genre elements, so with this game, I'd want to create an intricate, weapon-customization system combined with first-person shooting for most of the fights, whereas the rest of the gameplay could be in third-person, much like an action platformer. Aside from all that, I've always liked the idea of tag-along AI characters. I think it'd be cool to have something like Kingdom Hearts where you have two characters with you most of the time and you can switch them out at different locations. I think it'd be neat to pick up and lose different AI characters with different abilities as you travel across the apocalyptic world.

EDIT: Wow, that was a lot longer than I thought it'd be.
Seems interesting, I see the number of elements you've combined into your idea. Although getting things to work how we planned is the hard part. Still fun to read though :D
Dan(omite)
Donor
Ingame Name: Dan(omite)
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:16930891

Post by Dan(omite) »

I have my bachelors degree in computer science, but I'll be honest, I HATED programming. Specifically, I hated the actual code writing. I loved working on program design and concept, and loved seeing the end result come together (for one of my classes, the 5 of us wrote a semi-functional Scrabble game). I just hated having to get to that point--writing code gets very tedious. Guess none of it matters now as I don't use my degree anyway, although I still implement as much visual basic programming into my work as possible.
Lord Melchior

Post by Lord Melchior »

Tobuoi wrote:I've been refining some psuedo-devloped game ideas for years, now. One of them is largely based off of Final Fantasy-like RPG mechanics. It's turn-based with a large and diverse cast of characters who all have distinct abilities. Aside from that, it's largely story/character-based, similar to a typical JRPG. I imagine it with a good deal of western story-telling elements, though. Then, of course, there'd be lots of mysteries and puzzle-solving with items and whatnot.
Download RPG Maker.
Tobuoi wrote: Probably the second most-developed idea I have is for a single-player FPS/platformer game.
Buy FPS Creator
Tobuoi wrote:Much to my dismay, it turns out that the setting and attitude of the game is very similar to Fallout 3, which I only recently started playing.
Download the GECK, make your own game based on the Fallout engine.
Tobuoi wrote: Nonetheless, I've always been fascinated with mix-and-matching gameplay and genre elements, so with this game, I'd want to create an intricate, weapon-customization system combined with first-person shooting for most of the fights, whereas the rest of the gameplay could be in third-person, much like an action platformer. Aside from all that, I've always liked the idea of tag-along AI characters. I think it'd be cool to have something like Kingdom Hearts where you have two characters with you most of the time and you can switch them out at different locations. I think it'd be neat to pick up and lose different AI characters with different abilities as you travel across the apocalyptic world.
ehhh... that's quite the idea. Fallout Engine + GECK is your best bet. Possibly Source SDK.

Really T, I've bene making games since I was 10. It's a hellot easier than you might expect. RPG Maker, FPS Creator, Game Maker, MUGEN, Darkbasic Pro, ROM Hacking...
If you need help making a game ask me I will help ye get started. :D
Tobuoi
Admin
Ingame Name: [ATG] Tobuoi
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:23563807

Post by Tobuoi »

I've been thinking about devling into RPG Maker for a long time, but if you suggest it, then I should probably just do it. I'll keep the other things in mind, too. Thanks.
Lord Melchior

Post by Lord Melchior »

Tobuoi wrote:I've been thinking about devling into RPG Maker for a long time, but if you suggest it, then I should probably just do it. I'll keep the other things in mind, too. Thanks.
RPG Maker is great, I praise it highly.
Look out which version you're going to get though.
2003 has a really classic JRPG feel to it. It also features side-view battles.
VX is the newest version, and has a more modern feel to it. More features, more freedom, more sophistication.
2000 is also classic, but lacks alot of features and freedom. XP is okay but blegh, I don't like it personally.
I've written a few tutorials for VX so if you're getting VX I'll send those your way.
Light Of Darkness
Heavy
Ingame Name: Light Of Darkness

Post by Light Of Darkness »

Does VX allow you to create real time battles?
I don't mean real-time like in Fallout, I mean real-time like in The World Ends With You.
Lord Melchior

Post by Lord Melchior »

Light Of Darkness wrote:Does VX allow you to create real time battles?
I don't mean real-time like in Fallout, I mean real-time like in The World Ends With You.
not by default but it can be done.
2003 is real-time. Basically you wait for a little bar to fill up before you can attack, and then the enemy does some stoof at random intervals aswell.
VX is turn-based battle.

In any case there's loads of pieces of ruby codes you can freely download of the RPGVX community that allow different battle systems. Or you could wrtie your own.