Post by Newman »

<Stuff and Nonsense />
Joe
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Joe
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:3883133

Re: Valve based DotA?

Post by Joe »

The guy who makes dota has worked for valve for awhile, I think most people already assumed they were making one.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
SirDumpling
Admin
Ingame Name: Dragoon
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by SirDumpling »

Yeah, old news lol. Willing to give dota background information if interested. Been playing dota for ages, and i'm a huge dota forumer.
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

<Stuff and Nonsense />
xxplicitt
Demoman
Ingame Name: xxplicitt
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:15962518

Post by xxplicitt »

Dota is a Warcraft III thing right?
Joe
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Joe
SteamID: STEAM_0:0:3883133

Post by Joe »

Yes, it is a Warcraft 3 map
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
Newman
Founder
Ingame Name: [ATG] Newman
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:5580905

Post by Newman »

While not exactly surprising, Valve has finally taken the wraps off of its much-anticipated sequel to the popular WarCraft 3 mod, Defense of the Ancients. GameInformer spills details on the game, which has been simply titled Dota 2.

Valve is taking care to give the game its due, even hiring on Icefrog who currently maintains the most popular original DOTA mod, Allstars. As a result, the core game mechanics are remaining similar. Project lead Erik Johnson said the team assumes "that [design elements are] there for a reason. Icefrog is one of the smartest developers we've ever met. He's made so many good decisions over the years in building the product."

The full roster of heroes from DOTA-Allstars will be brought over, along with items, upgrade paths, and skills. The differences arise in the migration to the Source engine, which includes some graphical upgrades and voice chat. The team is reworking the visual style to accent important information, and more voice character lines will be included. Bots will fill in for disconnected players or for skirmishes, but Valve is keeping the focus on a multiplayer experience.

The developer is also kicking off ambitious community features, so that player actions in the game will reflect in their profile. Likewise, taking part in discussions on forums or writing strategy guides will impact your standing with the community, though Valve hasn't outlined specific plans yet. "When we talk about this identity that exists inside and outside the game, we don't think we're anywhere near it with what exists on Steam right now," said Johnson.

Valve will also be using match-making, guides created and voted on by the community, and a new coaching system to help ease in new players. A veteran player will be able to log in as a coach and offer guidance to new players, and receive feedback for his good work. This is also likely to translate to in-game rewards. Since Dota 2 is getting a full retail release, the familiar game is sure to open up to new players, so these steps should be invaluable when it launches for PC and Mac next year.
<Stuff and Nonsense />
SirDumpling
Admin
Ingame Name: Dragoon
SteamID: STEAM:0:0:00000

Post by SirDumpling »

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/arch ... tails.aspx for the full read.

Being a dota player for several years, after playing in many leagues and whatnot, I can definitely say I'm going to get this when it comes out. Right now, I'm focusing on TF2 and L4D2 since they are so much more flexible with when it comes to time.

I HIGHLY recommend this game to anyone who's played DotA, HoN, hell, even LoL. Sure, HoN is pretty good and LoL is complete shit (in my opinion anyway), but DotA... Fucking amazing.

Icefrog is probably the most dedicated developer of all time. He runs playdota.com, the main website for DotA, and getdota.com, the host of the maps for download, all out of his own pocket. To boot, there are no ads on either of the 2 sites, and since the map is made in Warcraft 3 at the moment, he hasn't made a single penny out of it either. He doesn't want donations (I'm sure he's been sent some, rumours are he sends them back), he doesn't want pay, doesn't want money for signing up to be a beta tester. He's just a twenty-something university student with enough spare time to update and upgrade one of the most played games worldwide (even more than WoW, if google is correct). He's also very patient with the community and takes time to read through and consider hero suggestions, item ideas, or debates about balance, even though only 1 or 2 of the suggested heroes have actually made it into the game so far.
And VALVe, being famous for the non-profit updates, is developing the game too? Damn.

There definitely will still be people playing the WC3 version, seeing how a lot of the dota players reside in Malaysia, China and other areas of South-East Asia, where most of them play in LAN Cafes. However, most of the Europeans and North Americans will (I assume/hope) buy the game.

Again, buy it. Even if you've only considered playing HoN or LoL, DotA is definitely the king of the action-RTS games. Nothing comes close at all.